Chinese Coin

Paul,

No, just that one side.  They are called Wu Chu coins and that is deciphered by the center of the inscriptions- the hour glass on the right and the other two figures on the left of the hole.

The Chinese coins we find around our area often are hundreds of years old and I don't know why.  But for sure they were brought over by the thousands and when discovered to be worthless here, were discarded pretty much indiscriminately.

Well Paul, I showed the picture to my wife, but she can't read it, my be really old and some dialect she doesn't know, or something other than Chinese, or possibly a copy of an old coin for some decorative purpose. Anyway later this evening she will post it on her Wei chat and by morning half of China should get at look and someone is bound to have an idea of what the heck you have...and old coin or?????

• Like 1

Paul, your coin find was very exciting and many people were interested and offered values for an old coin like you found much higher in China than the price listed by the dealers value information you attached... Unfornatuly, the one you found is not real. This info is from a big coin dealer/collector, the crudeness and mistakes in the writing show this as an imitation and probably made for decoration on some jewelry type item, or tassel. This would also likely account for there only having detail on one side and finding in an unlikely location for a coin of that type.

this was a lot of fun, so still a cool find.

clark

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Paul, your coin find was very exciting and many people were interested and offered values for an old coin like you found much higher in China than the price listed by the dealers value information you attached... Unfornatuly, the one you found is not real. This info is from a big coin dealer/collector, the crudeness and mistakes in the writing show this as an imitation and probably made for decoration on some jewelry type item, or tassel. This would also likely account for there only having detail on one side and finding in an unlikely location for a coin of that type.

this was a lot of fun, so still a cool find.

clark

I agree that it's a replication, when I was checking around on the coin Paul found, I couldn't find one exactly like it because of the minor differences on a real one and the coin found making me think it was a replication.... but I found the site that Paul posted above and if you read carefully on that site about the real coin like the one Paul found they are indeed blank on the reverse, so the replica coin Paul found does replicate a real one in that regard.

• Like 1