Apprehensive About Digging

Use very small digging tool after its pinpointed and circle the target about 3/4 of the way around it not pulling the plug out,then tilt the plug still connected backwards then pinpoint hole and your tilted  plug,if you need to dig deeper yet put down a small towell or rag to put your dirt on when your done put dirt from towell back in hole and flip plug back and step on it, nice and clean that way.  Oh yea make sure they allow detecting where your going.      Good luck,Rick

• Like 1

Use common sense when digging in public parks and areas with grass. Stay away from school football / sport fields. If a coach sees you you will get the boot or cops will show up. Seen it many times...Unfortunately many detectorists in the past and even today leave holes and athletes have stepped into them. Make small holes and use a pin pointer. If your new to detecting I would also recommend joining your local metal detecting club...good luck and have fun!  

Like the other have said. Just use common sense. Use a pinpointer. most targets are only a few inches under the surface. and can be popped out without making a complete hole. If you make a small hole then just just cover it up and stomp it back in place. Best to dig where the ground is moist unless you are in an area where the whole lawn has not been watered for some time. There are many signs around where I live at the local parks that say "Brown is the new Green"   Have fun !!

strick

Don't have a pile of dirt there for people to see!

BTW, my town doesn't allow detecting in parks and some schools don't allow it either..... check it out first.

• Like 1

Practice at home until you are confident that you can extract a target with minimal or no sign of ever being there.  Don't take shovels or large digging implements into public parks, that will be the first thing that will make locals and authorities sit up and take notice (for all the wrong reasons).  

If the ground is too hard or too dry, don't attempt to dig plugs as it will simply leave a mess and most likely leave dead grass on your plug/flap. 

Find a scrappier looking area to start off with vs a neatly manicured park, if you do inadvertently leave a sign of being there, it will be less noticed or lesser of a concern.

All the best with your detecting.:smile:

Pinpointer is the go, I use a thin screwdriver as a digging tool, push it in you`ll know when you hit the coin, with care you`ll leave little sign that you were there.  

People have been digging in parks for over 50 years now, and the parks are no worse for wear. Golf courses patch areas with plugs and what you do is similar. Main things are 1. Try to detect when nobody is around 2. Always use a pin pointer 3. Always use a drop cloth (small towel). 4. Avoid digging when turf is bone dry if at all possible.

The drop cloth gathers any dirt you excavate to make sure every last bit goes back in the hole.

Tesoro has an excellent booklet, Metal Detector Information at http://www.tesoro.com/product/catalog/MDI22.pdf It shows two common methods of retrieval. I use a screwdriver to pop shallow targets normally, and the "trap door method for the deeper stuff. Use the drop cloth with the trap door method. If done properly your holes will be invisible to anyone not specifically looking to see them.

From page 50 of the above referenced booklet:

IMG_0038.PNG

• Like 3