Crater Of Diamonds Lovestones

i attended the wedding of one of my grand-daughters at Turner falls, Oklahoma. So, in order to get some prospecting fun into the trip we drove 250 miles to Murfreesboro, Arkansas. The Crater is a few miles from town and has produced thousands of diamonds to the diligent and the lucky. Not being either of those types a I went and played anyway.

here are some pics

fred

032.JPG

031.JPG

008.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 8

Fred

I too have done the same thing and came away saying I've done that. I was there before it was a park. I think it was around 70 -71 with some friends on a coin detecting trip.

Chuck 

Fred,

Lu and I have been there for a couple of days on our way back from Florida trip a couple of years ago.

It is best there after it rains and we weren't so lucky.

That is a nice facility and you are right lots of people get lucky.  There is a newsletter that tells you about the finds of the month and other activities.

One link is here:

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/media/news-releases.aspx?id=2631

I'll go back one day and stay closer to the park.  We had to stay several miles away as motel rooms can be scarce.

Mitchel

• Like 1

On 10/4/2016 at 2:38 PM, fredmason said:

The Crater is a few miles from town and has produced thousands of diamonds to the diligent and the lucky. Not being either of those types a I went and played anyway.

here are some pics

So are you saying you didn't find any diamonds?  Looks like you found some interesting rocks of not any diamonds.  

Piggy backing onto Mn90403's post I see there have been quite a few reported diamonds found between Sept and Oct:

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/media/latest-finds.aspx

I see from the above link that 1 point equals 1/100th or a carat or to put it another way, 100 points equals one carrot.  

I am hoping to get out there this fall if my health allows me.  

The shack is the original mine shack from the very early days before it became a state park. 

the trough is one of the panning stations.

The honey colored stone is the only lovestone with any potential. If i had not been in a rush I could have had it checked by the park peoples...Unfortunately when I found it I was in a rush to do some other stuff. Then the next morning I had to leave to drive to Dallas to catch my plane.

There is amethyst crystal just below it.

fred

Fred - do they sprinkle other gems around from outside the park? The polished piece of carnelian (the honey colored lovestone) is not something that was formed that way. I wouldn't expect amethyst either - just doesn't go with the geology. There are certain types of garnet that go with kimberlite pipes.

No, the park has never been salted. That is not to say some one does not have a wicked streak in them.

The amethyst is from the naturally occurring minerals in the park, as are the other bits in the pic. The crater is a very unusual place...next time i see you i will give  a book I bought-you may enjoy it.

Thanks for the input about the colored stone, all I know is it gathers light and beams it out like a sun-beam...

Watching the real diamond miners working was very interesting...the really earn their rocks!

fred