GPZ Target Responses

Tortuga

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I am challenged by the 'depth sounds' of the GPZ.  When testing recently it is clear to me that I have to 'tune in' to a different expectation of the sound of a deep target.

I've found small (.2g+) and very small (less than .1g) targets up to 6 inches and this is the majority of targets and nuggets in the area where I hunt.  I've only dug a couple of targets over 8 inches.

Recently up in Rye Patch someone using a GPZ dug a 1/4oz nugget at 16 inches and a friend of mine dug a 6.8g nugget at 18" in Southern California.

We know if you get over 5" you have a 95% chance of it being gold so I'll dig a deep target if I can hear it.

Is it just 'anything' repeatable and when you dig it gets louder or is there a better deep indicator?

Mitchel

Two types of responses come to mind for me for targets at depth with the GPZ. 

The first sounds like repeatable ground noise. I'll be going along swinging and particularly in Normal, which I've gone back to using a lot more, I'll be hearing the moans and groans coming from the ground. But sometimes the ground noise will be a little tighter and narrower on a spot and repeatable. Hot ground, tree roots and hot rocks are often repeatable on my Z but the tone comes from a broader area. No little gold nugget in the ground is going to have such a broad tone so I know I can pass on those responses. But if I give the ground a little scrape and I'm getting a repeatable signal from a lot shorter sweep in a small area I know it's a metal target. Pretty basic detecting technique. 

The second deep target tone I get from the GPZ which I love is an odd warble or chatter. It's been a few months since I've dug anything deep from this response but I've found gold this way. It's just an odd repeatable sort of crackle tone I get sometimes. It only gets my attention cuz it's repeatable. Then I'll usually scrape about an inch off the top and get a faint, repeatable metal target tone so I know it's something I should dig.

• Like 3

Tortuga:

The second deep target tone I get from the GPZ which I love is an odd warble or chatter. It's been a few months since I've dug anything deep from this response but I've found gold this way. It's just an odd repeatable sort of crackle tone I get sometimes. It only gets my attention cuz it's repeatable. Then I'll usually scrape about an inch off the top and get a faint, repeatable metal target tone so I know it's something I should dig.

THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE EXPERIENCED!

This is where the 'art' meets the 'science' at the limits of coil response which means that sometimes I'm surprised when it stays and gets louder.

Thanks for the description.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Those faint warbles are one of my favorite target responses but with the GPZ I investigate any variation in the threshold, down sounds, up sounds, warbles, squeaks, squawks. and tinglings in my corns and bunions. The problem is getting maximum depth performance with a lot of distracting noise with something like "Steve's insanely Hot Settings" or a super smooth threshold and ridiculous sensitivity with "Klunker's Stupidly Cold Settings". This is the age old compromise that has existed since the invention of metal detectors.

I have out smarted myself with the GPX  more times than with any other detector, Thinking I could differentiate between trash, hot ground, hot rocks and nuggets so I dig every thing.  I thank god for diesel engines and hydraulic cylinders.

• Like 4

Been a while since I've spoken, had a walk about, however this topic is one that came up a few times on my stays in the caravan parks this year.

GPZ signals :) Hehh hehh, they can be a bit complicated~ the warble and what I call treble signal, in vlf's the nail and wire signal are pretty close, and the deep but not ground noise signal.  Then there's the screamer, the overload and one off signals.  What I find amusing about these signals in discussions around the fire is that there is always one or two blokes who claim they can tell trash from gold with all these noises.  Even had a rather heated one about how to swing the Zed without a harness~ but I digress.

Thing is there is no way to tell gold from any other target with the Zed.  Had only a few treble/warble signals this year- all gold.  Deep repeatables- gold and lead with some bits of iron. Screamers- gold but alot of trash as well. Overload- all trash this year but they all got dug.  One offs- small gold and wire fragments only come in good on one swing till you scratch and chase them down.  Lots of normal gotta be gold signals~ you know the mellow smallish repeatable ping thats not to loud and not to soft-  gold and lead pellets of various sizes as well as moderately deep iron bits and some brass eyelets.

Two bits of advise I gave those blokes at the parks. 1. Dig it all if its repeatable or sharp. 2. If its deep, low groan but localized, and repeatable from two directions~ ie check it at 90 degrees a second time~ dig it.  When in doubt on this signal knock off 6 inches and try again. ^make a big hole :)^

My attitude towards the "tuned ear for trash" is pretty much a small smile and confidence that when I find your patch I'll pick up what you left behind.  There is no such thing as a tuned ear but there is a gut check ;)

• Like 6

To consistently find gold, you must learn your detector, with a quality set of Headphones!  I currently swing the GPZ and know it's the best detector I've ever owned.  My GPX, I knew was the best and I hope what ever detector you swing is the best in your mind!  All the mentioned information above is sound advice to consistently fill your poke.  Until the next hunt!

LuckyLundy 

• Like 1

Just love those warbles, and Freds imaginary signals, very rarely are they not gold. The auto GB on the Z is a light year advance on the Xs, anything repeatable investigate for sure. But as good as the Zs auto GB is, it is not infallible sometimes manual GB is the go. Every mission is a learning mission no doubt, it is a magic machine, just have to find a good set of non-metal hobbles:wink:

• Like 1

When i heard my first faint warble signal in Au the light went on---- just something now that when i hear it is is in the database of my head.... always dig the warbles ---sometimes it ends up being wire or a nail, but like someone else said,,,It was dug...

Yeah, I like it when i hear a warbly goofy signal....

• Like 1

Crikey, DDancer thought I was totally tone deaf, the one that couldn`t tell trash from gold but you`ve made my day. After all these years am not the only one that hasn`t  "magic tuned trash ears" but have met a few that were pretty good at discriminating via ears.

• Like 1