Newbie 5000 Question

Hey all,

Just got my hands on a 5000 and took it out for a spin today.  I have one question.  Are targets going to always have the high low sound? Or will some have a single sound (high or low)? 

I was getting quite a few subtle single tone sounds.  I figured they were just hot areas, but they had the same kind of sound a good target on my GMT would have.  

The obvious answer would be to dig all of them, but I was also learning how to pinpoint with a larger coil and some of these sounds got lost when digging.  

Thank you!

Cal, if you are new to Pi machines I suggest you start with the stock coil and reading the manual several times. I don't think any actual targets will give a singal tone  unless you have retarded the signal control a bunch...there is a ton to learn with the 5000. Jonathan Porters dvd would be an excellent investment...

good luck

fred

Basically small stuff makes a high-low tone and big stuff a low-high tone. Low-high is almost always large junk unless it is a large nugget. The size nugget it takes to trigger a low-high can vary a lot depending on the gold - solid slugs do so at under 1 oz weights but specimen stuff can get quite large and never go low-high. The signals are actually related to the current ground balance and timing settings and in anything other than normal or sharp timings can vary with signal reversals occurring depending on timing used.

Thanks guys!

I know I have a long learning curve ahead of me.  Got out again today patch hunting and learned a lot about the machine. The question I posed above was answered in the field today before I got a chance to read these replies.  It turns out it is just a little wobble and not targets.  It just sounded like the sweet single tone sounds that I know with my GMT that it made me think for a while if it was indeed a target (they weren't).  

No luck today in the gold fields, but tomorrow is another day. Dug tons of small trash.  The old timers really liked to throw around bits of metal.  

JD

Calgeo; If you'r any where near my area (Plumas County) I would be glad to meet up so I could give you lots of misinformation and teach you some bad detecting habits.

I just dug a very deep silver dime with a distinct down sound using a 16" coil and "normal" timing. Ya just never know till ya dig it up.