Minelab GPZ 19 Coil - Full Official Information Release

Did Minelab have anyone test this coil stateside? Seems like it'd be ok to talk about it now if so, since literature is released? Just curious if there was a performance difference between AZ and NNV/NCA like there was with the Z itself, from my experience at least.

• Like 2

Someone buy one of these so I can see it work on a Patch or two of mine!

I'll have one and I would do that and I know how to keep my mouth shut. Just an offer.

Did Minelab have anyone test this coil stateside?

None that I know of but there could be some that I don't know of.

there was a performance difference between AZ and NNV/NCA like there was with the Z itself

I don't remember about that. Perhaps you could explain more. I've not experienced any difference in the places I've taken the GPZ.

Scary thought - trying to pinpoint a small nugget with this coil!

Yah, we know that tune! I've used the SDC as a GPZ pinpointer more than once! The thought makes the point for a small VLF pinpointer with a VLF coil (maybe around 5 inches) and a discrimination system that actually works! Perhaps like the GB Pro or similar.

• Like 2

For the approximate price of a 1 ozt of gold. You can get this bigger coil, and possibly unleash the true power of the GPZ 7000. Sounds like a no brainer. If you have a Zed, who wouldn't want that. This gives you the opportunity to find many more ozs of gold. The 7000 is a amazing detector.  Since my season is winding down due to that evil season called winter. I get to sit back and hopefully hear reviews from average joe detectorists in Australia.  I can kick the tires for a while.  

My only question with this coil, will the extra deep  setting come into play with this? Still baffled by the extra deep setting. 

SS, have had some success with extra deep, with machine full bore and no audio smoothing, ground noise and EMI is much less. Also it is handy to switch to extra deep to pinpoint and recover nugget quicker, signal whilst more mellow is picked up over a smaller area of coil, even down to 1/2 grammers

• Like 6

One of the uses I have had for extra deep on Z is in a large deep hole( past 1m) where the detector seems to get overwhelmed(saturated) in General or High Yield when taking the detector into the hole. It will be interesting to see if the new coil behaves differently in these circumstances.

12 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

I don't remember about that. Perhaps you could explain more. I've not experienced any difference in the places I've taken the GPZ.

Sure - any place with common to semi-common crystalline-type specie gold (north) benefits the GPZ user (to varying degrees depending on conditions) greater than places with more slug-like gold (south).  Also, pocket or otherwise in situ gold is more common north and so on average I found the GPZ to much more useful in the north then the south because the types of gold it really excels on are more common.

Didn't you or Steve write about this sort of observation on wirey/crystalline gold on a trip you were on together? Or maybe my memory is fading?

But also just in general, I was able to produce way more from old patches up north than I was from down south. Really with no exceptions, to the point where I stopped hitting old patches south of Vegas unless I was out of other ideas, but I made wages off old patches in NNV. I don't understand it fully, but that was my field experience, and I wasn't alone.

Some is explained by the variance in people working the more known patches and rigour with which the people detected out those old patches, but not all of it. I had good success in patches up north detected over by guys with way more experience than me, but not down south. It has to be the gold or ground difference because I'm not a better operator than some of them.

Also, some gold that doesn't appear to be crystalline or odd at all will still just hit a lot harder on the GPZ than what seems like a completely equal piece either in air, reburied, or in-situ. I don't understand this fully either, yet I've observed it numerous times. Those types of nuggets were far more common to me up north. Down south the performance "spread" between nuggets of similar size/geometry/weight was far less to almost be insignificant in many areas. Also the geometry and purity variability of nuggets is more variable up north on average, no idea how or if it effects this but it's an observation I can't ignore.

I think its more just a function of the places you are prospecting rather than a real north-south difference. I've seen wiry gold from Arizona and in Nevada and California both I've found everything from solid slugs to masses of wire and all grades in between.

Yes, there is a very pronounced difference between the GPX / GP series and the GPZ on wiry, prickly gold. No question about it, and yes, both Steve and I have written on that. The GPZ will find stuff with a wiry, prickly structure  which is fully invisible to the GP/GPX detectors and even on nuggets where the GP/GPX detectors do see it, the GPZ will see it at much greater depth. Part of your success in one place vs. another may be in part the nature of the gold and in part which detectors the patch was previously hunted with. Early on I took a GPZ to a spot that had been just pounded to death with GPX detectors, including by me, and out popped a 2 pennyweight specimen piece that you just could not hear on a GPX.

• Like 2

I agree and that's what I'm saying, it's a function of the places I'm prospecting because the ground/gold changes between them, but nowhere are those changes more pronounced than between the north/south in my experience. The types of gold that are conducive to outperforming on the GPZ are just much more common up north. 

That's why I'm curious about US testing of the 19". I'm too poor to do it just for fun! At ML prices I can't keep affording to do experiments like this myself. And it's not economic for me to even own a GPZ unless I can be confident its outperforming in the places I detect.

• Like 2

I talked to two USA Dealers.  They have been given no information yet from Minelab USA about price and delivery for the GPZ 19.    They were both apologetic that all they have is rumor.   They both learned of yesterday's announcement when customers started calling.