Momma Nature's Art Work!

Lucky,

Those are some special nuggets.  I like the spaghetti one the best though!  I have actually found a 4 or 5 that look a little like the one on your tailgate, not so big, but i found them in one spot in the West slope of the Sierra range about 4500 ft elevation.  Is the one on the tailgate considered crystalline gold or Chevron gold?

• Like 1

Tazman,

I'm not even and expert at the many different crystal forms of gold.  But the one on my tailgate is a Chevron, which in my book is a form of crystalline too!  You dig up enough of them Northern Nevada nuggets, you'll find all kinds of different types of crystalline shapes.  Almost, like them old boxes of Cracker Jacks...a prize in every   Here's a past hunt poke from there with a Cube nugget and a few other Rye Patch Chevron shapes.

Rick

IMG_0031.JPG

Rick,

I guess the nuggets i found in one of my spots would be called Chevron then.  I have only found them in that ONE particular spot in CA.  Have you ever found any other Chevron gold in CA?  I wonder if all gold was deposited as or grew as crystals or does some of it just have the "impression" or "negative" of the rock that it was touching?

• Like 1

Tasman,

l've found Chevrons in California, couple counties below you.  Crystal gold was formed when it was cooling.  I've never found a Chevron that was connected to a host rock and only a couple of regular type nuggets at Rye Patch that had Quartz on it.  Now, I'm no expert on how gold formation to get their shape(s).  And I'm sure I can research on how Mother Nature formed Chevron nuggets?  But, I have to leave a few things a mystery!  Now if you want to talk about Big Foots, I'm your man, lol

Rick

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 9:02 PM, Norvic said:

This is my favourite, got with a Bounty Hunter RB10, back in the 80`s. For two reasons, it`s uniqueness and tis my most unique. Probably only a couple of grams in, I`ll never find out as to crush it would be sacrilege.

untitled.png

That's a very nice specimen Norvic, that type of gold formation is called dendritic, e.g. "tree like", I'm sure you know that the gold could be freed from it's quartz imprisonment with no harm whatsoever to the delicate gold structure by the use of acid, but I think it should remain as is, the way "momma nature" made it, I know a little about how gold forms but I'm not an expert, but we do have such an expert on this forum, Chris Ralph A.K.A. Reno Chris, below is a aricle written by Chris that explain a little about how gold forms.

http://nuggetshooter.com/articles/CRGeologyofcoarsegoldformation.html

• Like 3

Gold Seeker that is a top read although I`m going to have a few rereads to absorb it all. No the host rock is limestone almost marble mainly so acid would no doubt destroy its appeal to me in short time.  The gold was on 70% and silver on a whisker below 30%. Photo is highly optically magnified, specci only 3/4" wide, 1.5 " long and 1/2 " deep, the photo showing only about 1/2"x1/2". My brag piece since finding.

Mamma Nature at her best.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

This thread needs a bump!

• 1 year later...

i live in northern nevada where is your detector shop at? do you hunt mainly rye patch? I live east of winnemucca. if you ever come out this way i wouldnt mind meeting up and swinging a detector with ya , i have 3 detectors that i aquired after my grandpas passing.