Amateur Detectorist Finds 15th Century Ring

"A Tudor ring found in a muddy field by an amateur metal detector enthusiast has sold for an estimated £20,000. Lee Rossiter, 43, almost threw the item away after a detectorist pal said he thought it was costume jewellery.

Full story and photos at https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1980419/amateur-treasure-hunter-finds-antique-tudor-ring-with-ebay-metal-detector/

• Like 1

Curiously beautiful ring :)

I thought that such items were to be turned over to the British Museum for a finders fee? 

From article at http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/extraordinarily-rare-tudor-ring-found-9046824

"Scans at the British Museum showed the ring was 78-80% gold and confirmed the nature of the precious stones. 

The ring was classified as treasure but local museums were not able to raise the funds. Mr Rossiter agreed to split any proceeds from a sale with the landowner.

Cheshire-based auctioneer Mark Littler advised him to sell directly to a collector rather than go through an auction.

He said he brokered a sale with dealers Wartski, in Mayfair, who have been supplying the royal family with jewellery for generations.

“I contacted them and negotiated a private treaty sale for a five figure sum for my client which was a great result,” Mr Littler said."

• Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 0:45 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Lee Rossiter, 43, almost threw the item away after a detectorist pal said he thought it was costume jewellery.

From Wikipedia In many instances, high-end fashion jewelry has achieved a "collectible" status, and increases in value over time. Today, there is a substantial secondary market for vintage fashion jewelry. The main collecting market is for 'signed pieces', that is pieces which have the maker's mark, usually stamped on the reverse. Amongst the most sought after are Miriam Haskell, Coro, Butler and Wilson, Crown Trifari, and Sphinx. However, there is also demand for good quality 'unsigned' pieces, especially if they are of an unusual design.

It makes a better story to contrast true finds with 'worthless' items, and in fact much of costume jewelry has little value today.  However, if you watch PBS's Antiques Roadshow you know that some jewelry which was made from common materials and sold inexpensively from the 1920's to late 1950's does carry value today amongst collectors.  Bottom line is: don't just throw out items because they aren't made of precious metals.  Do a bit of research first.

• Like 2

Hehh, for whatever reason that got lost in the reading for me Steve.  Thanks.  Think I was just stuck on looking at the ring.

Good point GB.