Minelab Files Suit Against XP Metal Detectors

"PITTSBURGH — An Australian company is suing French company XP Metal Detectors and Massachusetts-based Detector Electronics Corp., citing alleged patent infringement. Minelab Electronics PTY LTD filed a complaint on Oct. 19 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania against the defendants, alleging that they infringed on the plaintiff's patent through their distribution of a metal detector."

Details at http://pennrecord.com/stories/511025018-minelab-electronics-alleges-patent-infringement

Case Docket https://dockets.justia.com/docket/pennsylvania/pawdce/2:2016cv01594/233955 and details https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/pawd/233955/

Interesting.

Without knowing much about what is being infringed apon I can only  make the assumption that the patent made by ML is probably to broad.  There are a lot of patents out there that stifle development by other companies and individuals because they are so broad as to effectively kill innovation.  Granted such broad applications of patent can help against patent trolls, which are a big problem to producers and innovators as well, but for a company to "troll" on the competition is just as bad in my thought.

A good example of broad patent fighting can be found if one looks at the history of aviation.  The Wright Brothers patented the physics behind aircraft control~ control of Yaw, Pitch and Roll~ and spent many years in court trying to make money off of something that was not expressly theirs to own thru patenting. 

In this digital age such broad applications to data storage, as pointed out in the article, should be pretty specific and unique in their design and patent.  I have a feeling that is not the case with the fight on this property between ML and XP.

My thoughts.

Minelab just as well take on all or most detector companies being so many now can hold data in one way are another.

When Minelab drop the price of their high end detectors it said that sales how to be down. By doing it that gave then a shot in the arm that was in bad needed.

I myself think Minelab is a great detector company but I do believe by going after another great detector company could hurt them more than time can heal.

Chuck

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Minelab just as well take on all or most detector companies being so many now can hold data in one way are another.

When Minelab drop the price of their high end detectors it said that sales how to be down. By doing it that gave then a shot in the arm that was in bad needed.

I myself think Minelab is a great detector company but I do believe by going after another great detector company could hurt them more than time can heal.

Chuck

Although I believe ML makes a good heavyweight detector, I think  they are a rip off  and unscrupulous company.JMPO

• Like 3

I too think that Minelab detectors has been higher than a cats back. Now you take the guy that is out there finding gold everyday he too will say the same. The difference is he's finding gold and you and I keep coming up short..

For what I've spent on detectors I could own about two of the 7000 but my trouble is I don't live in gold country. Again Minelab is too high in price but put me downunder and I won't ,leave home without my 7000.

Good thing about all of this is I can buy what I want and in the ;past I've done it. My first Minelab was 17000 next Extreme next 3500 next 4500 next 2300 but now I own none.. I didn't list the Minelab Coin detectors I've had.but still have one. Of all things it's a GO Find 60.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Interesting ML want a jury based trial, maybe should be made up of detector owners only. Note also"perhaps' just a coincidence complaint filed about when Deus ver 4 was to be released. Desperation.......... what has ver 4 got the earlier versions haven`t? Maybe ver 4 has an advanced GB that solves VLFs poor ground handling capability.

It's there right to protect there technology and patents....Minelabs been good to me and hope they continue making the best detectors out there. Lets put it this way...we all love those gold show and tell pics we all share once in the while..most all found by Minelab detectors....YahoooYippee and Hooray for Minelab..go get em!

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I too think that Minelab detectors has been higher than a cats back. Now you take the guy that is out there finding gold everyday he too will say the same. The difference is he's finding gold and you and I keep coming up short..

For what I've spent on detectors I could own about two of the 7000 but my trouble is I don't live in gold country. Again Minelab is too high in price but put me downunder and I won't ,leave home without my 7000.

Good thing about all of this is I can buy what I want and in the ;past I've done it. My first Minelab was 17000 next Extreme next 3500 next 4500 next 2300 but now I own none.. I didn't list the Minelab Coin detectors I've had.but still have one. Of all things it's a GO Find 60.

Chuck 

I don't feel that I have come up short and I do own a ML and have done well with them, since the first 2100, I just think they are way too heavy and over priced.

I've always told my kids you can ask for something and the most I can say is NO.

I think most know that if you have been in the Military and can prove it Minelab would give a 15% discount on their detectors. Well I got a email on the new SDC 2300 and I like the looks of it. I email Minelab back and ask if they would give me 20 % discount I'd buy it.. In a weeks time a dealer we all know email me and said Minelab would do it.

Minelab didn't have to do that but at that time the powers that be their heart was in the right place. For this I thank Minelab and the next time I need a nugget detector I'll pay the price less my 15 %.

Chuck