Minelab Files Suit Against XP Metal Detectors

The patent in question is US7310586, which covers wired and wireless data transfer (no, I'm not speculating, yes, I have the docket). It's the same patent they sued White's over when I was working there. I found prior art that would invalidate the patent but White's decided to settle instead.

• Like 4

Geez, that patent looks mostly like an attempt to restrict competition from companies without dedicated legal teams to me. Most modern devices stores and transmit data, how is that even patentable?

I guess they need to make sure they can keep releasing new $2k detectors for $11k when a sign of life emerges somewhere other than Australia in the industry. :dry:

• Like 2

So if I'm not making a profit I just go around and sue every company that makes metal detectors.

Minelab I say the only one your're hurting in the long run is Minelab.

Who knows Garrett be the next in line.

Oh will I'll keep on buying from White's and when the new coils for the XP comes out I'll buy one them too.

Chuck. .

• Like 2

On 11/2/2016 at 6:42 PM, Geotech said:

The patent in question is US7310586, which covers wired and wireless data transfer (no, I'm not speculating, yes, I have the docket). It's the same patent they sued White's over when I was working there. I found prior art that would invalidate the patent but White's decided to settle instead.

Thanks!!

On 11/2/2016 at 7:42 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Who knows Garrett be the next in line.

Well, I do recall that when the White's Vision Spectra came out, Garrett notified White's there was a trademark conflict regarding the name as regarded some old obscure Garrett feature. The Vision became the Spectra V3 and then later V3i.

Minelab may or may not play the game more than most but they are not the only ones playing the game.

whites specta-vision-herschbach-big-foot-coil-2009.jpg

• Like 2

There is a difference between patent trolling and squabbling over a name though. Filing overreaching patents on extremely general or common ideas isn't just a problem with the detector industry but with patents in general and the companies/people which seek to take advantage of it. Kinda like paper stakers in the mining world. ML, please don 't turn yourself into a "Dept of Land Transfer" or "Gold Rush Expeditions", it just sullies your reputation. 

It's one of the major factors that kills innovation and makes it impossible for the "little guy" to make it to market with novel ideas, and it should be destroyed with fire IMO. I hate to see a company who's products I use do this. If I had the money to buy a Deus right now I'd do it just to show support. Until of course XP decides to do the same thing to some other little company and this discussion all repeats again 2 years later. :blink:

• Like 3

In the business world bullying and bluffing other companies is considered doing the right thing...all for profits nothing for principles...if Minelab can get them to fold then they win...

my disclaimer;

I do not endorse this behavior at any time or place

fred

Yeah appears the other threatening detector manufacturers have been kept out of the competition, is XPs turn, hope they have it to be a David. Ver 4 must be a corker.

I love the Deus, and the Z. Maybe a compromise, swap their no wires for whatever it is ML is going them for. Ohhh... but I`m a dreamer.

What, as customers, can we do to register our displeasure with such, I`m not going to boycott by not buying MLs products that`s for sure?

should be interesting to watch and see if they are seeking 7 years of back damages...could really hurt xp if that were the case. And going forward if they get a high license rate...would really hurt them again...helps to have millions to write patents all day long