Unbelievable!

Yesterday I took Calgeologist out to my claim for a few pointers on his new to him GPX5000. I think he had already memorized the owners manual and read everything he could from a few forums.  That made it easy as there was not much more for me to do. I had him hook up an external speaker and walked with him for advice on various targets and sounds.  He chose to use the Commander 12x15 Mono, a bit of an overkill but he did not have any smaller mono coils in his arsenal.  After awhile I let him go on his own and started my own hunt.  An hour later he came up to me and asked for some help, by then I had switched to my new GB Pro after beating the skunk away with the GPX.  He told me he had gotten a target out of his dig hole and asked me if I could help end his frustration and point it out for him. He pointed to the spot he figured it was and bingo the GB said he was correct.  I got a mild signal and had the target in my scoop.  It gave a nice signal on the front sensitive portion of his monster coil and when I spotted his target after a few cuts I was totally blown away... I mean it was unbelievable.  He found a small birdshot a few inches deep.  He was hunting in sharp timing, slow motion and I think quiet with the gain set higher than factory setting. Can't remember his gain setting for sure.  Just amazing the sensitivity of that coil...... and he did not even have it in Fine Gold timing! 

If some one told me they could find birdshot with that coil I would be pulling on my extra high Bshort boots!  I also think nuggets are in serious trouble when he gets a bit more experience under his belt.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve for the great time yesterday.  This is what I think makes this forum special.  A newbie has a few questions about how to be a better nugget hunter and be taken out into the field by a very knowledgable detectorist was a huge surprise and greatly appreciated.  I feel lucky to have had the opportunity for hands on training and meet a great guy to boot.

As for the birdshot I was running in sharp with gain of 13, normal audio, stabilizer at 10, with the monster coil.  Like Steve said they were down a solid 2-3 inches on bedrock.  They sure sounded like gold....

Here is a picture of the shot so there is some visual proof on size.  

post-236-0-40909900-1404512678_thumb.jpg

• Like 1