White's TDI SL Video

tboykin

14 hours ago, RickUK said:

Must admit i do like using my TDI Pro,i am not saying its perfect or its any better than any other brand,it does exactly what i want from a PI detector,had looked at getting the 'sl' version as i could have used my spare RNB batteries that i use for my DFX and IDX Pro,but it was that horrible and antiquated 'S' shaped shaft that made me go for the Pro version instead.

For deep relic/hoard hunting the TDI certainly ticks all my boxes.

Very easy to modify it to a straight shaft (even carbon fiber). FWIW I prefer a hip/chest mount. Makes climbing cliffs much easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

So, bottom line, how much does the perceived sensitivity difference between the models simply depend on what voltage they are run at?

It depends on voltage, ground, and coil choice. A folded mono coil like the MJD will be more sensitive on smaller nuggets (and porous ones too). You will lose some depth, but using a "hot-rod" battery pack will help make up for it. I have seen guys use as high as a 14.8 volt battery pack for extra punch, which seems to get the SL closer to the Pro in terms of depth. In my own testing a modified battery holder (9 AA's instead of 8 for 13.5 volts) got me an extra 1-1.5" with the stock 12" coil on a nickel-sized target. Worth looking into further I think...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tboykin said:

Very easy to modify it to a straight shaft (even carbon fiber). FWIW I prefer a hip/chest mount. Makes climbing cliffs much easier.

Thanks for your reply,but i did mention that i ended up with the TDI Pro which does not have the 'S' shaped shaft,you are correct that it can be adapted by either using Whites components or aftermarket shafts too make it into a straight shaft.

Even with a 20'' Jimmy Sierra coil on i can still swing the TDI for long periods of time,my preferred coils at the moment are the 7.5DF,Coiltek 14x9 Mono and the above mentioned 20'' coil,that basically does everything that i want from the machine,as my ground conditions for the most part are low mineralized then i run it in straight PI mode for the extra depth.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2016 at 9:06 AM, tboykin said:

The Pro was a solid performer in terms of depth, though you had to fight the threshold to get it. The reason it is discontinued is the components are obsolete/prohibitively expensive. What improvements would you like to see in the TDI SL?

Who told you the parts are obsolete?  What  parts?  I would like to know?

Reg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I love the tdi sl. I live on top of a serpentine hill with red dirt everywhere, and only 500 feet from some high voltage powerlines. I take the tdi sl out in the yard, ground balance it, and she just purrs along like a kitten. It's wonderful. I would definitely like to see a retro waterproofing upgrade kit for us klutzes Tom. I'm scared to take it near the river or the beach.

How about it Whites?

captain mike

I had a White’s go under fresh water and pulled it up poured the water out. Then disconnected the battery and went to my car turned on the heater. Gave it time to dry out and just a short time I was detecting again.

If that was salt water I’d say you can kiss it goodbye.

Chuck

• Like 1