Good evening chaps a friend of mine bought some nuggets to try his goldbug and other machines he has in his arsenal and it seems the 5: bel sharp has better sensitivity on the nuggets than the fisher 5"  ...did any of you compare both coils???

Thanks

RR

Thats very interesting,my main small 5'' coil that i use when the crops come off is the superb one made for my T2 in between the stubble rows,but this NEL 5'' coil could work very well also on my Trident 11 Extreme for trashy roman sites.

Will give Regtons a ring tomorrow and see what they say,

Thanks for starting the thread.

Nigel is the man !!!!!!!!My mate air tested on a Fanam (Indian gold coin) 0.36 gr gb original 5" 3cm with the NEL 5" 7cm

RR

5 minutes ago, Rivers rat said:

Nigel is the man !!!!!!!!My mate air tested on a Fanam (Indian gold coin) 0.36 gr gb original 5" 3cm with the NEL 5" 7cm

RR

That is pretty amazing,looks like it will be the NEL coil and with the Tesoro/Laser great discrimination as well,will make a nice combination for trashy sites,i do use 4'' coil on a Laser B3 which i must admit is razor sharp on small targets but of course you dont get much ground coverage,so hence the reason for looking at a 5'' or the original option of the 5.75'' Tesoro coil.

8 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

RR

That's a very impressive result (factor of 2 in depth), even though limited (one item, presumably under perfect = perpendicular orientation in air conditions, and one measurement by one person).  It would be nice to see how other specimens perform.  True native nuggets (as has been said on this site and elsewhere a gazillion times) will not respond like coins.  Eddy currents set up most easily in round ring shapes followed (I think) by nice disc shapes.  So how this improvement translates to nuggets is TBD, but promising.

In the coin realm, US $1 gold (1.7 g), 3 cent silver (0.8 g), 5 cent silver ("half dime", ~1.3g), and 3 cent nickel (1.9 g) -- all from the 1800's, could also benefit from an increase in sensitivity such as this.  I recall there were privately minted small denomination gold coins during the gold rush years as well.  It would be nice if more data could be compiled.

I already have the stock 5 inch plus a prototype Coiltek 6 inch for my Fisher Gold Bug Pro.  Even though the Nel Sharp is quite reasonably priced I'd like to read more before committing another Benjie to my growing collection of coils.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...