Depar Dpr 600 - New Gold Detector By XP

Steve Herschbach

I hear you - the problem is that it's not really Depar's detector.  It's XP's.  

The price is special for "artisanal miners" - mainly in Africa.  It's a huge market - much bigger than the rest of the gold detector world market put together.  At the same time, the individual buyers are poor.  Price competition is fierce.

XP has chosen Deper - the biggest metal detector distributor in the region - to market this Deus variant.  No way that they will turn it loose at this price in the "first world".

here's a neat story about a French guy with a Deus in Africa

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/finds/gold-prospecting-in-africa-with-the-xp-deus-v3/

IMG_0427.JPG

Rick

I do believe what you say to be true but and that is all I'll say ( The but part ). Now back to my dreaming. haha

Take care Rick 

Chuck

Some news over on Findmall.  Andy Sabisch just posted some details straight from XP on the new machine.  It's one freq only - not 3, has no wireless headphone capability - gold optimized only.  

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

Well, according to Andy one frequency only, but the video goes to great pains to show the use of multiple frequencies. Whatever. The key quote from Andy "XP has said that there will be a Gold-Only model available worldwide next year". So time will tell.

Thanks for the link Rick.

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 0:31 PM, jasong said:

I guarantee you they do because I've been asked about my opinion by a marketing rep who said they saw my posts here among other things. They watch a lot, Youtube, Facebook, forums, etc.

The reality today is that companies can get marketing research for free that they used to have to pay for, just by monitoring social media and most of them understand this now.

Some threads on forums get 5000+ views on certain products. On Youtube some detectorists get 1/4 Million+ views a DAY, and those are numbers companies can't ignore if not just for the advertising factor alone. I mean, what's the entire circulation of ICMJ? I bet half of that or less per month.

So when people post about how cheap $1500 for a coil is because of all the nuggets they'll find and pay it off, or how $680 is a great deal that we want here, people should know that what they say online means more than it did 15 years ago and does have some effect on actual pricing. I'm not saying social media is an "ask and ye shall receive" situation, but it's definitely monitored and taken into account, maybe more than people think.

Sorry to get off topic, but if this detector isn't even available for purchase here then I thought it was a good opportunity to talk about pricing since that appears to be the big story here (in addition to Steve's point on the frequency). It's not just the XP, the GPZ is cheaper over there too, and the 5000 is way cheaper. Usually prices go up where the rush is, but we are seeing the opposite. Odd.

Internet stats are dodgy at best i.e. some sites are designed to be click bait all in the name of advertising revenue.

All the discussion I've ever seen on pricing there is only ever a small percentage saying that they'd pay top dollar. A lot fence sit saying they'll wait & see performance first then others just flatly say no way when exorbitant prices are mentioned. It's never a resounding opinion of lets pay top dollar & obvious to me manufacturers are not listening even if they are reading! Not very good marketing to base price on a handful of people saying they'll pay whatever? Me thinks pricing & marketing is based on many more factors including past sales, projected sales, R&D costs, profit targets, target consumers etc. etc. Not forum opinion. 

XP are doing some puzzling things with "marketing" this machine. The list of specs they've given dealers doesn't seem to match what's happening in the vid or what Depar say? It would go pretty good worldwide even with the one "gold" program if you had the ability of changing frequency with the matched coils as the video suggests. There is definitely a market for easy to use, small gold finding detectors i.e. SDC. Something cheaper & lighter should do well but at the end of the day it's still a VLF? I'll fence sit on this one & wait until I see it handle some cranky dirt!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The user manual for this detector is now posted.  Looks like an interesting machine for gold and relics - according to this, it includes wireless headphones - as an option.  No mention of another coil with different frequencies

http://static.depardetector.com/Common/UserManuals/912.pdf

depar-dpr600-gold-nugget-detector-by-xp.jpg

Thanks for posting Rick. Interesting it can use wireless controllers, and the manual also says it can be updated over the internet. Rumor has it a version will be marketed in the U.S. which I think would be a wise move. The DEUS V4 is an expensive option for those who just want a lightweight nugget detector. At 2 lbs and running 15, 30, and 53 kHz this would be a great offering if at a much lower price than the DEUS. http://depardetector.com/product/depar/dpr-600/912/511

depar-dpr600-specifications.jpg

• 4 months later...