Depth Comparison?

Rod K

Take a nugget around  .3 gram in fairly mineralized soil. Which will locate it deeper a Whites TDI original, a Garrett Infinium, a Gold Bug Pro, or a Makro Gold Racer? And approx. how deep for each ?  Thanks

Hi Rod,

The problem with questions like these is finding someone who owns all the machines you are interested in and who is willing to take their time to do tests for you. I have used all those machines but currently own only one of them. And at the end of the day it depends on the exact nugget and the exact ground - what exactly does "fairly mineralized" really mean? Which coils? Stock coils? Or should an attempt be made to equalize coil sizes and types?

In low to moderate ground I will bet on the Gold Bug Pro and the Gold Racer. As the mineralization cranks up, at some point the PI detectors will have the edge. So when you say fairly mineralized ground it could be a horse race. Depths expected maybe an inch or two.

Another way to frame the question is "We are going looking for 0.3 gram gold nuggets in fairly mineralized soil. Given the choice of a Whites TDI original, a Garrett Infinium, a Gold Bug Pro, or a Makro Gold Racer, which would you take with you?"

Me personally I would grab the Gold Racer. Runner up Gold Bug Pro. Hunting 0.3 gram nuggets with a TDI or Infinium is challenging under any conditions as neither of those machines would be noted for small gold capability.

Sorry to not be more specific but all I can do is offer generalities based on my past use of those detectors.

The question I obsess over these days is where do I go next to have a decent shot at finding gold? The detector part is the easy part. Finding good ground? Getting harder every day.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply Steve. Yea, i know the question was kind of vague. But i kind of expected the VLF machines would win out on that small a nugget. Thanks again.

Because those are the ones in my price range.:sad:

Rod

You never put a price on a nugget detector! If you do do that you take all the fun away thinking you can get rich overnight nugget hunting. Myself I'm waiting for the price of boot tacks to go up.

Coin hunting I find lots with the same date and look like the last. The great thing about nugget hunting is not one nugget is the same as the last. Even better yet is that nugget you just dug up hasn't seen the light of day in over a million years. The exciting part of all of this is it's in your hand now.

On my statement about time that was just a wild guess. Haha

The Best to you!

Chuck

• Like 1