MX Sport Vs. Iron

tboykin

How many nails can one machine take? I ran out - 

If you guys would like to see something specific for a video please let me know! I have a vial of nuggies I can use to show gold response next. But its pouring up here so I might have to wait for a break in the weather.

• Like 2

Loved the video quality & editing Tom.

But, having done similar tests for more years than I care to remember, it didn't make me wanna run out and get one. Most VLF's today can do that. And, it's not a huge priority for me as I rarely look for steel brushes.

Nails and coins buried over time in soils  = scenarios that cannot be replicated on this type of video.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, tboykin said:

How many nails can one machine take? I ran out - 

If you guys would like to see something specific for a video please let me know! I have a vial of nuggies I can use to show gold response next. But its pouring up here so I might have to wait for a break in the weather.

Tom bring on the nuggets :brows: , what's the problem with raindefault_idunno.gif, the MX Sport is waterproof!!  default_th_rain-umbrella.gif

3 hours ago, Des D said:

Nails and coins buried over time in soils  = scenarios that cannot be replicated on this type of video.

That is true. I haven't found a way to make invisible soil yet, though I have a few ideas...

I don't expect to convince anyone with a video like this due to a thing called "confirmation bias," but some people have asked for this kind of test specifically so I wanted to provide it for them. If you have any specific requests and there is a supporting demand for that type of video from others I will gladly shoot it. Up next I think I will do one on Audio Modulation and Sensitivity, since the two are related.

• Like 1

Having said that Tom, I applaud your video work. 

When I shoot test videos they're usually done in real-life situations and the 'junkier' the better.

Case in point: my Garrett Ace 400i in Heavy Iron: I thought I had deff picked out [ a non-ferrous piece ] in a lot of iron "sounds" and it transpired a barn door hinge with 3 round top bolts complete with washers "tricked me" into believing I had a coin! The 'eddy currents' on the 3 round tops AND the washers ran around and around and fooled me. A barn door hinge! What a huge target! A small wrench came from nearby and then at the edge a large non ferrous wick round kerosene burner...all in the same 2 square feet.

I concur with you not taking expensive gear out in the rain. What are "Chuck Taylor's?"

Are you shooting on a DSLR? Which mic?

BTW: thanks again for showing your Go Pro set-up. I haven't found that attachment in any store and did come across it on a New York camera outlet @ $19.99 

But Taxes & Shipping etc took it over the edge of $120.00 so I didn't press the 'Buy' button!

Psssttt...'tween you and I, I've spent about $10,000 grand on camera gear, software, computers, Royalty Free etc thru the years!!! Just bought another laptop and thinking about going the DSLR route...Yikes!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Des D said:

What are "Chuck Taylor's?"

Are you shooting on a DSLR? Which mic?

Chuck Taylors are my shoes!

Ah, gear. I used to work on movies and I must have spent $20k+ on custom workstations, monitors, mixers, microphones, etc. Tax time helped out a lot and I still use it for my second job which is doing sound design and mixing for commercials.

I took a job at White's and told them I could bring my audio gear but they would have to buy a camera. When I lived in Los Angeles I worked with Panavision 35mm/16mm film cameras, Red, Alexa, and other traditional large-format cinema cameras with heavy primes. Of course I did a lot of gigs with lil' DSLRs but I just think they give a very "plastic" look and aren't good for handheld work. I remember on one set I saw a DP push a camera dolly with a brand new prototype Red camera with I believe a Canon CN-E 30-300mm... not realising the dolly track had not been "locked"... The camera and lens went sideways, there was glass and bits of electronics everywhere. I think the total bill for that goof was over $100k and the union was not happy.

I like heavy stuff that can take a beating (and don't really like syncing sound) so here is what I use-

Sony HXR-NX100 with Manfrotto sticks

Sony NEX 5T for B cam when needed

GoPro Hero Session 4

Sennheiser MKH60 (best shotgun mic IMO, very warm sound and low EMI response)

Sennheiser G3 with PSC Millimic (prefer Lectrosonics but they are Minelab-level in terms of cost)

Personally I would shy away from DSLR's. The audio is usually unusable (with few options for piping in good mics to the camera), the motion looks jelly-like, and any slight movement creates a very cheap image. Also, you had better be Johnny On The Spot with your focus pulls. The large sensors create a very shallow depth of field, which is pretty but requires a sharp eye, quick hand, and years of practice to keep objects SHARP.

If you'd like to talk more about video gear please PM me so we don't clog up the board. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming related to inches, volts, and VDI...

Thanks. Great explanation Tom.