Minelab SDC 2300 Thoughts...

Hello,

I was reading on another gold prospecting forum, a fellow was concerned about how robust the articulating coil connection might be on the new Minelab SDC 2300 metal detector, as well as some questions I have come up with, in regard to that detector.

I will continue that first thought here, rather than possibly compromise a potential sale by a reader of a forum, whose owner might be a Minelab dealer.

With regard to the coil's articulating joint:  I have no technical knowledge that would tell me how robust/water resistance that moveable joint might be or have, nor the longevity of such a joint, with respect to its electrical conductivity life expectancy.  I would think that the Minelab people had the same questions when the design was put forth for production, so I don't know why it should be a big secret for end users to know about, after all, it is a pretty penny to buy the machine, and you sure don't want it to go south on you right when the warranty expires, or even before for that matter...

My experience with the early Minelab XT's, was that there could have been a better way that would constrain that battery pack and limit it's ability to bang around within the confines of the control box. Plus, now that I think of it the battery box door was subject to falling out, and being lost, as an aside... 

If my memory is correct, those tiny wires that connected the battery to the circuit board were a single strand, a hard wire, as opposed to a more flexible multiple stranded wire.  In my case, the first time out with that machine, the battery module moved around so much within that control box, that the single wire broke.  End of that day's use, until I could resolder the wire back at home, and hoping it would work a little longer next time I went out.  The point of all of this is, we have come to expect a good product, that has been well thought out, and field tested to keep up spoiled Minelabbers happy, which I have been since the early 1990's.  I have never sent any of my Minelabs back for repairs.  None. Let's see:  XT16000, 17000, 18000, SD2100, GP3000,GP4000,GPX5000.  That is a lot of Minelabs. Plus many coils, many.  THAT is a lot of dollars worth of faith in their product.  Not a paid commercial...  :lol:

One other concern regards the use of "C" cells in the SDC2300.  The why of it, opposed to the use of them, as opposed to a lighter AA rechargeables, or maybe 9 volt batteries.  Could have to do with the "c" cells being more availability in Australia or???  I have become spoiled with the fast recharging lithium ion batteries.  Fast, with a quick turn around. Expen$ive: oh yes! 

I am curious about the turn around time of the "C" cell rechargeables.  I know that the old gel cell batteries did take some time to recharge, as do the AA rechargeables, so I guess the answer there, is to have spare sets of "c" batteries along to use, if you plan to have especially long detecting days.

Perhaps down the road, we will see a lighter lithium-ion battery setup that will provide a really fast turn around time.  Maybe that would help justify the inordinately high MSRP price of this little detector.  I DO understand the reason for pricing the detector at the level it is presently...    

I am pretty excited, stoked even, about this little articulator.  I am pretty sure there are a lot of people out there right now, drooling over their old maps, with the thought of resurrecting those old patches that were so good to us back in the day, plus other patches that remain to be discovered.

Thanks, Steve for making this forum kind available. 

I hope you are having a great time, and enjoying your chili supply, even finding a few nuggies with that SDC 2300.  Keep us in touch...

Gary/Largo 

The joint seems pretty strong to me in my operation of the SDC. The only odd thing about it is that the detector coil rotates in a side to side direction that you are not used to. The C size batteries are not a problem. The SDC comes NiMH rechargeable batteries and a charging system.If it would have been built with AA Batteries, you would need to change them every couple hours, to about 4 times a day. AA size hold a lot less juice per charge than C size. The C size last about 7 or 8 hours per charge. To make sure my batteries last as long as I might need, I bought 2 extra sets of rechargeable C cells (8) off Amazon. I like my SDC and plan on using it quite a bit this summer.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Minelab SDC 2300 Thoughts...