Lobo ST In Ground Depth Questions Coins And Gold

kd7ura

Hello new here and to detecting.

I bought a new Lobo st in 2004/2005 played with it a bit and pulled the batts and put it away for a few years.

i didnt have much luck with it .

i have a gold piece 24k about .51 grams and .400 long .200 wide and .050 thick, how deep should i be able to detect this piece.

ive got several silver dimes and quarters older pennys going back to 1890s.  im setting up a test field with the coins in zip lock bags. and rope markers

added some junk and nails as well .

should i be able to detect a 1971 penny at 6 inches in any mode? im getting nothing, and i see videos  at 8 ,10 ,12 inches

and nothing on the gold at 3 inches, could there be something wrong with the detector?

did you put th batteries back in??? just teasing!  Have you read the directions? As Steve said...it depends.  However, airtesting will give you a base line...any copper or silver coin should detect at 6 inches or more...

you have a lifetime warrenty...if in doubt send it back.

fred

Keep us updated the lobo is one of m favourite machine well tuned and boosted it is a werewolf in a sheep clothing......i am running mine with a snake coil

RR 

Rat,

I have an LST also  and 5 Tesoro coils. I prefer the 3 x7  as its so easy to pinpoint with. Which of these NEL snake coils do you use with yours? I had my 8 inch round coil out at a soccer field recently but the detector kept chattering even tho it sure seemed like black dirt with no minerals? I had to turn Sens down to 5-6, vs my usual 9-10.

And where are gold chains usually lost on soccer fields and can the LST pick them up? I was told by a fellow detectorist using a Minelab 705 ,that gold chains are easy to find for him? I always thought they were next to impossible to detect?

I know to hunt the sideline areas for goodies where folks change their shoes and leave their backpacks.  What's a gold chain sound like anyway, IF it is even detected? I've gotten a few silver chains and they made a loud chatter noise.

Thanks,

-Tom V.

Good machine....solid crisp signal on non ferrous targets  going left and right with swing. You Have a good machine , use it and dig....dig..dig...Happy Hunting. If you don't like it, sell it on Steve's Classified section...should sell fast.

• Like 1

The Lobo ST still hunts fine with lower sensitivity settings.

Don't hunt the chain, hunt the clasps and the little loops the clasps connect to.   Tiny, solid signals.   Chains in turf are not 'easy' for any machine.  But with that little coil, you could probably find some in the right location if you turn you Lobo St's sensitivity down close to minimum and focus on the tiny solid signals.   The Lobo ST doesn't lose its "hots" with lower sensitivity settings.   That makes it a better chain hunter in turf locations than the Xterra.   

The Xterra's iron mask feature isn't that helpful in turf. 

HH
Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I got 7 chains in 5 days with my lobo last spring, (Silver and copper) also a small gold tennis bracelet in the water the previous fall.

The Lobo loves chains, they pretty much hit like regular targets, always unexpected because they hit like a coin. 

The 5x10" coil is not deep. The Lobo in Disc mode is not deep. It is however SENSITIVE in both modes.

The Lobo is deepest on gold in All-Metal, it's primary mode, it should hit a penny at 10-12" in air, maybe around 6" max in disc mode.

Your gold is 3/8" long by 1/8" wide? That sounds fairly small, 3-4" is probably about right. Try it on another machine, it may not make a sound.

The 5.75 DD compare to her size IS DEEP.......but Lobo need to be retuned either for DD or concentric if you want to have the most of it....funny you say the 5X10 isn't deep because when i tried a retuned lobo it was with this coil it was fitted.......and oooo boy it was deep for a Tesoro.

The target was a fragment of a bell.

My 2nd lobo tuned ONLY on concentric is on his way from France and i am trying to source a 5.75 concentric .......i can't make video to show you execpt if you have WASSAP OR VIBER.

RR