Gold Hound

First Nugget 4 19in Coil

8 minutes ago, rc62burke said:

Ahh will it be time for a hipstick mate they damn well help us mere mortals  LOL

cheers

Lee

I can't stand using a bungee as they impede my swing too much and I would have to wear a backpack or harness. 

I hate wearing backbacks and harnesses as I overheat! Its bloody hot most of the year where I work it easily gets over 43degc in the shade.

And I like to have no shirt on for part of the day as it helps me keep my body temp down and manage myself in the extreme heat so I can work longer. Hydrolite sports in my water also helps as it replaces your tissue salts particularly magnesium as I have to drink about 6l of water per day, and if you sweat all of your salts out you will get cramps or dehydrated. The body can't hold water without any salts.

• Like 5

Do you switch between arms Dale? I bit the bullet and went full bungee/backpack when I got my GPZ/14, and even then with daily detecting my right arm was like twice the size as my left after a couple months. Even kept a dumbbell in my trailer to try to even it out a bit. Using that 19" without a bungee...I can't even imagine. 

*oops just realized due to the time you're already gone. Good luck, can't wait to see some more results.

Well done mate, amazing whats possible with the zed once you learn how to understand her. 

Congratulations Gold Hound, this is what I like to read, because until now I only read complaints, like I said time will show the real potential of this new coil. Cheers

Dale, Thanks for your info on your latest Z19 find, great find, and for your videos.

re ( The 14 could not pick it up until about 250mm was removed )

Was the 14In coil on a mates Z? and if so did he have the same settings as your Z?

Peter

I am really surprised you were able to use pin pointer.  My last trip out, I found out my pin pointer (Garrett) was affecting the 7000 more than the pick! (even when off and high up on my shoulder)  I had to extend the coil way out in front of me.

Great find!!  And thanks for the depth info.

A fix that has worked well is to wrap the Garrett pin pointer with heavy aluminum foil.  The bottom of a throw away pie or cake pan is good.  Cover it from just below the speaker hole down past the tip.  The foil needs to overlap to make an electrical short circuit around the probe.  Keep the pin pointer inside the foil until the final gluing has set.  Wrap the foil with black Gorilla Duct tape.  Line the inside of the Garrett belt holster with GOO glue then insert the assembled shield with the probe still inside to keep the foil from collapsing.  
  I have used this for the GPX 5000 and the GPX 7000 with no problems.  This shields the pin pointer internal coil from the detector but the aluminum foil can still be detected at a greatly reduced signal level.  Experiment with locations on your body to get the greatest separation between the coil swing and the aluminum foil.  Slightly behind your left or right side depending on which arm you swing with seems to work.  Attached to the backside of your finds or trash pouch is a good location.
   When using the pin pointer the coil needs to be positioned as far away as practical for the terrain.
Have a good day,
Chet   

• Like 3

Deteknix, Minelab, Nokta & Makro pointers don't interfere with any detector when they are switched off. Can't believe Garret hasn't fixed this issue with their pin-pointers. Is the orange AT still the same? 

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:20 PM, jasong said:

That's officially the deepest I've ever seen a nugget detected then, just wow since it's "only" a 66 gram speci and still getting that depth. That's 35 inches! Nice one.

Any chance you could do a quick air test on it so we can relate in-field performance to some of the air tests published?

The air tests that jasong refers too that were published only showed a maximum air depth with the new 19 inch coil ranging between 16.5 inches to 19 inches " on a 192 gram nugget although the best depth of 20 inches was on an 89 gram nugget.

Hopefully then as jasong says, could Gold Hound do a quick air test with the 66 gram speci.

I would rather see a live dig...air tests don't really mean much to me,  except that the machine is turned on....

They seem to create a big stir about nothing. Am I wrong? Seems like wasted time.

Live digs are the cats a..

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By PeterInSa
      Currently using an SP01 and matching twin Speakers, volume on the Z is 8 volume on Sp01 around 7.5 if not using the Sp01 Volume on the  Z is 11, with these settings and my hearing am not sure am getting the benefit of the Sp01, so as above would appreciate comments on twin WM12's ( Speakers are high on the Z Harness along with the WM12, the SP01 in the Z Harness backpack) 
      Will look at setting up the SP01 and the Twin Speakers on Margaret's 2300 with a Transmitter/Receiver driving the Sp01.
      Thanks
      Peter
    • By phrunt
      I was very keen to go for a gold detect this weekend, only problem is the weather forecast wasn't really detecting weather, I wanted to go back to the spot I did very well last weekend where I found .865 of a gram  I just had a funny feeling there was more in that hole as I was getting faint signals with the GPZ but at the time I wasn't sure if that was just the hot rocks, this particular spot is full of hot rocks of all shapes and sizes, right down to pea size up to giant bolder.  I was hoping my assumption there might be more gold there would be correct.
      There was quite a bit of snow overnight but the skies had cleared and went nice and blue so I sent JW a text message asking what the weather was doing up his way seeing he lives 10 minutes from where I was going to look for my gold.  He responded it wasn't looking too good so he will decide when I arrive if he wants to go detecting.   Nothing was stopping me however, I had a mission and I was determined to find gold!
      About 10 minutes after I left my house things went downhill with the snow

Started to get pretty thick, fortunately they'd plowed the road but it was still slowing coming down.
      Then up ahead the traffic was all at a stop, by traffic I mean the one car in front of me 🙂  It was due to a car that thought it would be wise to tow a caravan in the snow.  Not a good idea, the road was icy and slippery.

Things did not go well for them, they lost control, spun around and their caravan basically exploded.

Not much left of it.  Further up the road the weather was getting worse, and I'd forgot to put my chains in the car, if it got too bad I'd have to turn back.

After a bit more driving as I got towards the lake nearer to JW's house the skies cleared and there was no snow up that way.

I stopped at the shops to get a few things and picked up a tool from the hardware store expecting to have to smash through rock to recover nuggets like JW has been doing.  That seems to be the way nuggets are mostly found at this spot, my nugget in the hole last weekend was a bit unusual.  JW always goes straight to detecting the rock where he's doing very well, 10 or so little nuggets most days.  I got to JW's and he decided the weather was good enough so off we went.  JW went to his rock wall again, that thing just keeps on giving.... and I went to my hole.
      It was not long at all and I had my first nugget, then another.... and another, they just kept coming.  The damp soil I suspect was making them stand out even more, both JW and I have noticed this in the past, they light up in wet soil.

I had my first 3 within about 30 minutes I would guess... I took my watch off during the virus lock down as I never needed to know the time anymore and I've never put it back on.  I got used to not caring what time it is.  That little guy is 0.034 of a gram, and the 10" X-coil found it with no troubles at all.  I run my GPZ in HY Norrmal, Manual GB with gain on maximum, all else defaults.  I don't bother with the little yellow ferrite ring, I feel it doesn't help at all in our soil.  I don't understand Minelab's decision not to make a small coil, they probably don't even know the full potential of the GPZ on small gold as with a small coil it's absolutely deadly, the tiniest bits very comparable to a high frequency VLF like the Gold Monster.  I think with the 8" coil it will easily match the Gold Monster.  I think they didn't want to take the SDC 2300's market away from the GPZ owners, they'd rather sell them a second detector than a coil - more profit!

And here is a video of the detector response on that tiny little nugget, insanely sensitive.  I can't wait for my 12x8" and 8" round to arrive, you would think it would not be possible to get more sensitive than the 10".
      This was my first time finding one so tiny with the GPZ, JW does it all the time and I was watching him do it last weekend so I was using that as a learning experience of what to listen for.

I just kept scraping more off the hole in layers, I was having a bit of trouble with tiny hot rocks but I didn't want to change off HY normal / max gain to calm the hot rocks down so I just kept fishing them out whenever there was one there and throwing them far away, often using the Nox to assist with narrowing their location down.
      During my digging I found a weird little skull, maybe a dinosaur 🙂

There was other bones right next to my hole too, perhaps an animal had been using my hole as it's dining room.

The gold didn't stop coming, I've never had a day like this, I had so many bits by now I had lost count, I didn't even bother taking photos as that would waste valuable digging time.  I just kept scraping more away and detecting each layer after removing the hot rocks by using the Equinox with 6" coil and picking out any rock that it detect as a hotrock (-8/-9).... If you've got good gold eyes you may spot the bit of gold in the photo below, I spotted it sitting in my scrape.

And this was it.

I got to the point a big rock was in my way so I had to swing around and attack it from the other side where the sticks are

This side was a bit wild, you can now see how much I've dug out, the original ground layer, it was on a downhill slope.  right up where a tree root was I had a really nice signal with the GPZ, it was too loud so I thought perhaps a bullet or something so I grabbed the Equinox to see what it would come up with, it had no signal.
      I removed a bit more soil then suddenly I had a solid 16.  I used the Equinox to recover the target and to my surprise.........  The biggest nugget I've ever found!!!!!!!!!!
      \
      Oh yea! a beauty.  You'll see up above that my little tiny bottle, it's my emergency bottle that I keep inside the zipped up GPZ cover as I have forgotten to bring a bottle a few times I keep that little guy as my spare.  Fortunately I did as I sure needed it on this day.
      I took the following photo today as I went back today to hunt the spot again, this photo shows exactly where I found the big nugget.

It was on top of that rock below the tree root.
      I found a few more nuggets, another 4 I think after the big one but I didn't take any photos, it was starting to get dark so I met back up with JW to see how he'd done on his rock wall, he'd got 9 nuggets, not bad! He was impressed with my whopper and my haul, it is a very big nugget for NZ.
      We walked the 20 or so minute hike back to the car but as we got close to the car for some reason I checked my pocket to see if my gold was there, and it wasn't! $#@$#@$#@ My heart stopped! We went into panic mode checking my pockets 20 times and emptying out my backpack, nope! Nowhere, it was very dark now and my phones light wasn't helping much.  We decided rather than walk back with my phone light we'd go back to JW's house and get a torch and come back and look for it, it either had to be on the path we took or any of the last areas we walked at the nugget spot.  We arrived back with the Torch, JW was a lot more confident we'd find it than I was.  He said we'd be best off going back to the spot as it likely fell out of my pocket when I was crouching down packing all my stuff back into my bag.  We retraced our steps back at the nugget spot and within about 10 minutes I spotted it, sitting in the long dead sparse grass!!!  Thank goodness! That was a close call, my best gold day ever and I'd lost it all.
      Now for the weigh in.

All the little ones, I can't even remember how many, 15  I think it was for 2.113 grams

And the monster! 4.081 grams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The total for my best day ever,  6.195 grams!
      JW offered for me to stay at his place but I wanted to go home and show my wife my find, I didn't expect my 9 year old daughter to still be awake as I got home about 9.30pm and her bed time is 8.30 but my wife let her stay up to see my big nugget, she was very excited and shocked to see how big it was.
      I had plans to go back first thing in the morning to start again, this hole had to have more, I dug my last one about 5 minutes before stopping last night so I was sure it wasn't finished.  This time I was going to come more prepared, better pants with a zip up pocket to hold my gold bottle and a bigger white bottle so I can't lose it after the previous scare, a crow bar as we call them or San Angelo bar in America I believe? and a big magnet on a pole to try help with the little hot rocks.  The ground was a bit frozen when I arrived but not too bad.

The magnet on a stick is cool, and worked well, shrinks down to put in my backpack too, it helped clear up the hot rocks quickly.

A pretty big strong magnet on it.
      I had to give the area a tidy up and clear all the sticks before starting as I was heading that direction with my digging.

Doesn't help with these giant hot rocks though, but the crow bar dig them out and moved them for me, I'm certain they mask the gold targets when they're nearby
      A quick video of the Nox on the hot rocks
      It came in handy for giving me an ID on them.
      Day two was going well too, I'd lost count again on how many nuggets only taking photos of the bigger ones.

Quite meaty!

And another one!

This rock even had a little one stuck in it.
      I had to be home by 3pm so I called it quits, JW is still there now, hopefully he finds a big one! 🤞
      So my total for today

11 Nuggets for 3.310 grams, and my two day total

9.546 grams, what a weekend! I love the 10" X-coil on the GPZ, what a killer combination.  I'm really excited about the smaller sizes coming (8" and 12x8")

• By fredmason
      I seen this issue on the oz forum...is anyone besides me having a problem with the 12v charger for the gpz?
      I have two- one for my ctx and one for the 7000 and they both behave badly...when I plug one into the 12v outlet in my truck it starts flashing red while charging. The manual says this means there may not be enough battery to pull juice from the truck battery...my truck battery is brand new.
      So, I carry a small invertor and plugged that into the 12v outlet, then the battery charger into the inverter...the charger worked fine but my truck battery was  drawn down and I had to jump it...
      so, the second question is this; does the inverter draw a huge amount of amps to go from 12v to 110v to charge a the zed battery???
      Also, is the sensitivey of the minelab chargers adjustable ????
      thanks
      fred
    • By phrunt
      I have ordered a new size X-coil, it's a 12x8" X-Coil,  It's already in the post however it's delayed in shipping due to international shipping delays the world over.  Hopefully this coil arrives soon. I am very excited about it as I think it will be the perfect size for NZ.
      It's even in NZ's black and white colours.

This should be good in our rocky terrain on small gold.

• By phrunt
      I haven't had a chance to go prospecting since our lock down ended a few weeks ago, once lock down ended I was busy catching up on everything that couldn't be done in lock down 🙂 NZ has done a stellar job in eradicating the virus so our lives are essentially back to normal now except for no International tourists which in our part of the country are a big part of our economy.  We haven't had any new cases in some time and there is now only one person left in the entire country that is in quarantine with the virus. 

The one case left is on the North Island, so no problem for me down the bottom of the South Island 🙂  Every morning lately has been a heavy frost so I was intending to do my gold hunt in the afternoon once the ground thaws out.

This was my yard before I left.  A bit chilly 🙂
      It was good to get out prospecting again, my wife and daughter wanted to tag along as they were going to ride their bikes along the cycle trails in the area so my day was limited, I only had a couple of hours.  We parked up and I walked to my usual spot and showed them where I'd be so they could come back and find me.  My first target was a shotgun pellet, damn it, I'd forgotten they existed, I had a hard enough time remembering how to use my detector it's been so long 🙂
      I was then walking across to the spot I wanted to have a snoop around and on my walk there I got a signal, it wasn't a booming target and it sounded too good to be a shotgun pellet.  I dug the surface away and the signal was still there, looking positive, it was at this point I took a quick video in case I was lucky enough that after only about 15 minutes I had my first nugget.
      I wasn't too sure on this one as the spot where it was located didn't really feel right, not the usual place we'd been finding gold around this spot so I turned the video off and started the recovery, possibly expecting a deep old bullet shell or something.    It was a really scrubby area too, lots of prickle bushes and old sticks everywhere.  In all of my excitement of my first find of the day I didn't even get a photo of the area, but the video shows it.  I had to dig a fair way down to get to my target, It was stuck in some layers of the rock which I had to smash out to get to it.

A decent size too! woohooo, what a start.  I like when they're big enough my Carrot narrows them down.

Just after I'd found the nugget I was rechecking the area and heard a bike pull up, it was JW, we hadn't seen each other in some time due to the lock down but he'd been coming to this spot again the last few weeks once lock down ended.  We had a chat then got stuck back into it, he went to his usual spot where he's been doing very well, and I went back exploring the side I've been attacking.
      No good targets for about 40 minutes now then in between some bedrock I had another nice sounding target that survived a few scrapes of the pick, always promising.

These small coils are just brilliant for our hunting grounds here, the smaller the coil the better, the small 10" X-coil has brought this old hunted out area back to life as you can get into all these little tight spots and it paid off again, the coil only just fit between these rocks too, there is still a lot of ground the 10" is too big for but it does get a majority of it.

I'm no photographer 🙂 but in the shadow in front of my coil is the dig hole, right between the two rocks.  A bigger coil would have missed this gold.

The bedrock is shallow here but I have done this ground with the Equinox a few times and missed this piece.  If you look hard you'll see the crack in the bedrock where it was.

And the nugget, typical sort of nugget for this area, all water worn looking smooth bits even though none of the rocks around the area are rounded water worn rocks.  
      A few more junk targets and my phone dinged, it was my wife saying shes done bike riding and was on her way back to collect me so I walked over to see how JW was doing.  I had heard him banging away at the rock for ages while I was detecting around so I assumed he'd done well.  When I arrived he was digging out a big hole in the bedrock cliff face, all the soil was out of the crack and he was breaking apart the rock with his screw driver and hammer. So far he had one bit of gold but another signal was in there, so we tried to use my Carrot to narrow it down, no luck so he kept smashing away.

He had created that big hole, the big bit of rock at the bottom of the photo was from the hole, the rest were thrown down the side off the cliff.

After smashing some more up and trying to find it he still had no luck so we tried the Carrot again,  this time it picked it up, real good. It sure helped speed up the recovery.

A big one too! Carrot detectable size again.  Unusual to get biggish ones and now we've both got one!
      He checked the hole again, and another signal

A tiny one!, Rechecked again...... another signal, unbelievable.  A lot more smashing out of the rock and out it pops

The hole was getting bigger and bigger

And more kept popping out.  My wife and daughter arrived on their bikes now to collect me so I called them over to see the hole that keeps giving, it still had a signal in it now that we were working on recovering, each target as needing more rock smashed out

This 10" Coil can really pick up some incredibly small nuggets.
      And they just kept coming, my family were watching on with interest.  More nuggets kept coming out then JW checked the soil and crumbled up rocks that came out of the hole and more signals, all over the place

Absolutely nuts, what a hole!

All from that one hole,all were in the rock needing smashed out.  I had a ball helping with that recovery, 13 nuggets at 1.8 grams total weight.  JW said yesterday he found a similar hole on the same cliff face with 10 pieces in it.

And my total, sorry for the glary photo, was taken at night once I got home, and the houses LED lights mess up photos.  0.865 grams for 2 nuggets, 0.76 of that is the big one.
      I really love the small GPZ X-coils, I can not wait for my 12x8" X-coil to arrive as it may get into the spots the 10" coil can't.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      U.S. dealers are including the 19” coil free with GPZ 7000 purchases for a limited time. I’m not sure if this is being offered in Australia.