Hello all. I'm pretty new to this forum. Great stuff posted by many.

My question is: What type of sand scoop do you folks prefer for beach hunting, both ocean and/or river.

I saw a guy a while back, on a northern California beach, with a long handled scoop which was driven into the sand like a shovel (by foot). The entire head also pivoted. It appeared to be made of aluminum or stainless steel.

Any pictures and or links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

This is good question. I prefere aluminium sand scoop below. Light and strong and two pieces design. My version has lower part with 90 degrees additional handle.

Sandcoop_zps3909e686.jpg

• 6 months later...

BUMP!

Since I live near the shore here in Spain and I have this shiny, new amphibious SDC 2300, I was thinking maybe to start detecting on the beach - assuming it's allowed.

Those of you who beach detect, what scoops do you use? I was looking at one from the Ukraine called the Stavrscoop which seems to get quite good feedback. Anyone tried one?

Thanks!

Here's the website for the various Stavrscoops, they look to be very good scoops made of stainless steel, but what I see that I don't like is the absence of a handle, I think a metal handle welded to the scoop is a must for overall durability, with the Stavrscoops it appears you need to add the handle yourself and there's one photo of one having a wooden handle on page 2 "..the Konus 12..", which I think will break over time, that being said I guess you could add a metal handle which unless you have DIY skills will cost you more to have someone add the handle, but for the prices I see for the Stavrscoops I think a handle should be included.

http://stavrscoop.com/en/8-sand-scoop

That all being said, the sandscoops we have over here would cost you a arm and a leg for shipping to Spain, I would look for one locally to you, get one that is build very well and strong, welded metal handle with braces if possible, it could be aluminum or stainless steel, which ever scoop you decide on hold it in your hand and imagine scooping in wet packed sand, if it seems strong enough for wet packed sand it will work in loose dry sand.

Some nice scoops out there but I'd stay away from any with a sharp digging point as they tend to swivel under your foot as you dig,Stick with a curved digging end. Also, I try to get one with a foot pedal in back or an angled backside to the scoop you can push with your whole foot, otherwise you will get black and blue toe nails. I learned this the hard way. Small holes towards the front of the scoop will help catch small items like earring studs, chains, small fishing weights, etc that will otherwise fall thru large scoop holes and drive you nuts trying to recover them. Be sure to attach a magnet or 2 of them, the ones with a hole in the center, inside the back inside of the scoop, to catch iron/steel trash, like bottlecaps and bobby pins. If going with an aluminum scoop, ask if the handle is anodized? If not, your hand will turn black as you use it. Stainless is nice and won't rust  but tends to be heavier. My all time fave was the BeachBrute scoop from Bill Babb but it does not seem to be on the market anymore. Oh, and metal scoops tend to sink if you let go of the handle, so maybe put a small bit of foam at the end or fill the hollow handle with foam to make the handle float a bit.You don't want your scoop to be on the bottom of the sea after all , especially if the water is dark. Be careful  and have fun...don't take chances with too deep water or currents....a floating sifter can help a lot if you are doing swim areas too.

If just digging on the beach, a chicken wire mesh will sift sand the fastest but has no strength to the mesh to push against with your foot unless you can find one with a reinforcing bit of steel welded onto it. No more than 1/2 inch holes so you don't lose dimes and small rings. There are some cheaper scoops on Ebay made from PVC pipe,dunno how well they work tho...

-Tom V.