Thoughts On The TDI SL ?

tboykin

Do these mods and you will give the ML 2300 a real run for the money.

Reg

The modded SPP's never really took Australia by storm either. In test conditions they showed promise & did appear to give the SDC a run for it's money but these results never seemed to get replicated by most in real detecting situations. The SDC still seems to hold a definite edge on small gold in Australian conditions but it should too at triple the cost. 

On 12/11/2016 at 0:22 PM, Hard Prospector said:

If  Reg was in charge of the TDI program years ago, there would  be a lot of happier  SL users today and much, much more $$$$$$$ for White's

Interesting posts.  Most of these I have been advocating for years, even before the SL came out.  I was the primary field tester for the SL when it was in development, for prospecting, along with Jimmy Sierra.  There were others back east testing it for relics and beach hunting.  I pushed hard for Reg to be involved with this but was met with a stone wall at Whites.  He contributed SO much help to users and had many good ideas that were never even tried, as far as I could tell.  Any way, I hope that someone up there is listening now and is sincere about improving it.  It really wouldn't take much to bring it up a few notches and be truly competitive.

Digger Bob

• Like 4

On 12/11/2016 at 1:13 AM, Reg said:

tboykin,

Your questions and suggestions can be answered easily to improve the SL.  

First, contact RNB and have them build the SL Li Ion batteries but use the Panasonic 3400mah batteries.  Option 2 would be to add an under housing mod to hold external battery and a connector so an external 4 cell battery could be used.

As for not working in hot ground, simply modify units with my mod needed and installed on SPP OZ units.  Whites has the details already.  This makes the SL GB as smooth as the TDI.  Older units already made and in use can be upgraded easily for a reasonable cost for any unit out of warranty.

Modify the filters to allow for a faster swing speed (Reduce value of C20 and C21 from 0.47uf to 0.22uf).  This makes the SL a poor man's mini Pro model. Right now, the SL is crippled because of the filtering and trying to sweep to fast causes serious depth and small gold loss.  

Have Miner John build a couple of different sizes of the folded mono design and minimize selling the  Whites dual field design which doesn't ground balance well in bad ground.  Add a relic model and a separate gold model so relic hunters do not have to buy the dual field coils.  Dual field or folded mono are stupid for relic hunters since they don't need to find tiny objects.  FYI the folded mono design is something I came up with in July 2009 (http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?15585-Coax-for-duel-field-coil&highlight=dual+field).  Just look for the jpeg of the different dual field design.

Change software to allow reducing the delay but either do so with a separate switch or mark the delay setting in RED where there may be a problem using the large coils.  

Add a switch to give and option to eliminate the third filter right after the GB summing junction.  This will eliminate the loss of small gold signals because of this filter interaction.  

Do these mods and you will give the ML 2300 a real run for the money.

Reg

PS you may have to remove C69 located between U1A and B when you lower the delay for proper operation.

Reg - I will look into these. As far as the pulse delay, it's not possible to lower it any more than 10usec due to the processor speed. Swapping the processor will unravel the sweater, so to speak. But the other mods with a small folded mono coil should address the instrument's response to small gold.

If we can do these mods cost effectively they are worth it, but it makes sense to invest more $ in new tech. The idea is to squeeze a few more inches/grams out of this machine before the next generation hits shelves. Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Digger Bob said:

Interesting posts.  Most of these I have been advocating for years, even before the SL came out.  I was the primary field tester for the SL when it was in development, for prospecting, along with Jimmy Sierra.  There were others back east testing it for relics and beach hunting.  I pushed hard for Reg to be involved with this but was met with a stone wall at Whites.  He contributed SO much help to users and had many good ideas that were never even tried, as far as I could tell.  Any way, I hope that someone up there is listening now and is sincere about improving it.  It really wouldn't take much to bring it up a few notches and be truly competitive.

Digger Bob

Bob, Reg was very closely involved in the SL development. The reason the SL is so quiet is because of Reg's work.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tboykin said:

Reg - I will look into these. As far as the pulse delay, it's not possible to lower it any more than 10usec due to the processor speed. Swapping the processor will unravel the sweater, so to speak. But the other mods with a small folded mono coil should address the instrument's response to small gold.

If we can do these mods cost effectively they are worth it, but it makes sense to invest more $ in new tech. The idea is to squeeze a few more inches/grams out of this machine before the next generation hits shelves. Thank you for your input.

Tom, I think you deserve one heck of a Christmas bonus this year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hard Prospector said:

Tom, I think you deserve one heck of a Christmas bonus this year.

Thanks! If money was my goal I would not have left my last job. Finding a gold nugget up at Quartzville would be enough, just gotta wait for the snow to melt now....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tboykin said:

Just tested out some of Reg's mods..... I think the guys who don't have $2k+ for a pulse machine will be very happy next year!

Looks like I might consider buying another TDI next year then...

• Like 4

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2016 at 1:29 PM, Hard Prospector said:

For the small shallow nuggets in nasty mineralized ground, learned a long time ago not to use any coil on the SL larger than 10" (actually, the smaller the better). Hence, at the 8usec and smaller TDI coils a perfect match. Dan Geyer for a brief time made a TDI 4x6 Mono "Shooter" coil that runs so well on the machine that I can run the gain/sensitivity maxed out and the ground balance turned off EVERY TIME I use it and thats no kidding. The Miner John 5x9 Folder Over, Jimmy Sierra 6x10 Duel Field, White's 7.5 DF and the White's 7.5 Mono Aussi have also been good nugget producers and pretty much in that order.

I am 100% convinced that making these easy mods. could really be a great thing for the SL as a nugget shooter and revenue producer for White's.

I knew I had read this somewhere, taken a few years to get around to doing this, looking forward to trying it out. I have used the small 6 x 4 Tdi coil but it never occurred to me to try it with the ground balance off.. 

1484660272_gold1.jpg

1484660288_gold2.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to really enjoy seeing the results of that test, Mike. Hurry up!...LOL

Jim