Finally - The QED Arrives?

AussieMatt pointed out on another thread that lo and behold, the QED has appeared. I am not going to mess with all the long back history. Instead, it looks like we may finally have a new detector model from an independent designer after so many false starts over the years. If nothing happens to upset the cart reports should be coming in from Australia in the near future.

Anyway, congrats to bugwhiskers and company. I truly do wish for it to go well for all involved.

• Like 1

Wow! Interesting. After all the rumors and bashing over the years it sure would be nice to see a unit that really works at the price point they have always stated. Good luck to them and let's hope to see it here in the States.

More caution than is the norm is in order here due to the many unknowns. However, I gather everyone here knows my thoughts on bashing and negativity so please avoid that here. They deserve some time and a fair hearing just like everyone else.  As always field reports from regular purchasing prospectors will be very important.

Still lots of room for improvement in high power non-VLF units selling for under $2K. All it has to do is beat the TDI and they have the advantage of US imports to Australia being overpriced. And only getting worse with dollar strengthening.

• Like 5

Caution indeed! Some are basically ordering it sight unseen on the back of little more than hope.

I too await for independent testing but can't help thinking that those who have been unhappy with using a Whites TDI or Garrett ATX in Australia won't find it any better? Time will tell I guess & there's been plenty of time for Bugs to iron the bugs out :laugh:

This is just the start of what we'll see in the coming year. You detector companies out there sitting on your hands take note. The first if good will stay first and the last won't last at all.

Chuck

On 12/8/2016 at 1:46 PM, AussieMatt said:

I too await for independent testing but can't help thinking that those who have been unhappy with using a Whites TDI or Garrett ATX in Australia won't find it any better? Time will tell I guess & there's been plenty of time for Bugs to iron the bugs out :laugh:

Yes I agree in that it may be an alternative to the TDI or ATX and at half of their cost price.

If we are to believe the air test results and if it is able to handle our hot Aussie ground well enough and translate a similar depth advantage in the ground over the Whites and the Garetts then it may be worthwhile.

I've always been a big supporter of the independent developer, both through Geotech and my jobs with White's and FTP. The QED coulda been released years ago through White's, and probably as a better incarnation than what's about to hit the street. But I gave Howard a choice: you can either continue to throw rocks at Minelab, or you can let us build QEDs. Can't do both. Unfortunately, he picked up another pile of rocks.

It'll be interesting to see how well the QED performs. Despite the way things wound up at White's, I wish him well.

• Like 7

Forgive me for being dense....but what is a QED?  

I followed the link and saw the picture and read some posts but I still don't know what a QED is.

HH
Mike

Mike, QED is simply the name of the detector under development that is supposedly going to come to market. Long story short, a low cost alternative to the Minelab PI. Where the name derives from I do not know.

ads by Amazon...