Finally - The QED Arrives?

For those interested, the QED is real but was held up by a bunch of BS from ML.  Untimately, Bugwiskers modified his GB technique and ML signed off on their patent complaint according to Bugwiskers.  

So, yes, the QED should be in production soon if not by now.  On the down side, some of the soldering is done manually so production is slow.  Maybe Whites will offer to help and make them here.  It would simplify their need for a newer model of the TDI.

Hey, maybe tboykin can help with that.  He will need to keep John Earle out of the loop, though.  

To answer a question asked by Steve H about whether the QED has the high low tone like the TDI, I highly doubt it.  Bugwhiskers used a multiple sampling for the GB to reduce any depth loss and minimize any hole.  At least, that is my guess.

Reg  

I am a bit skeptical of the QED, as we have all been told it was coming soon for nearly a decade. That alone is plenty of justification for skepticism. Your comment that the hold up is some how minelab's fault is also baseless, but it's the excuse offered by Doug and bug and the rest of the crew. As Carl noted, it could have been out years ago if getting it done were more important than attacking ML - but bashing ML proved the greatest priority. 

I would truly be happy to publicly congratulate Bugs and the crew if the detector proves successful.  I am a consumer and am glad to see the consumer have lots of options. I am not however,  a member of the hate ML club and that's what turned all you ML haters against me.

I am waiting to hear about the QED from independent users - folks who are not part of Bugs inner circle of believers. If independent users like it - that will be great in my opinion and I will be happy to congratulate Howard (bugwiskers) on his success. 

Hi Reg,

From http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/new-board-109/qed-update-8893/msg41078/#msg41078

"Ground Balance is about creating a null for the ground. This is achieved by using an electronic equivalent of an old fashioned balance beam or scales. This was used by Eric Foster while hand held PI detectors were in still in their infancy. When the signal from the ground is broken up and put on different sides of the balance beam then the ground is nulled or cancelled. There are certain targets that have a characteristic or Time Constant that are similar to the ground and the response to them will be greatly diminished. These targets fall into what is called the "Detection Hole". The function on the QED called BIAS is used to raise the signal that is either side of the detection hole. An OZ 5 cent piece is on one side of the "hole" and the OZ $2 coin is on the other side."

The ad copy also states "A single channel design resulting in a low component count, smaller size, less weight and repeatable performance" which granted, is kind of vague, but this just sounds to me like an improvement (possibly) on Eric's design. It is also possible part of the agreement with Minelab was to stay away from multi channel "timings". In any case you can guess and I can guess but guesses are not firm answers.

• Like 4

The QED should be renamed the Phoenix.

It has been a long, difficult, contentious journey.

I am sure most people wish them well.

3 hours ago, Reg said:

So, yes, the QED should be in production soon if not by now.  On the down side, some of the soldering is done manually so production is slow.  Maybe Whites will offer to help and make them here.  It would simplify their need for a newer model of the TDI.

Hey, maybe tboykin can help with that.  He will need to keep John Earle out of the loop, though.  

We have our hands full here with some of our own projects. But if a QED showed up at the factory and ticked all the boxes I could put in a good word or two. After reading through the history of this project I would say I'm skeptical. But any advances in the industry are welcome, whether it's from the big guys or built in a garage somewhere. As long as it helps people find gold!

• Like 2

If I have a wish that will come true in 2017 let our cup run over with detectors. The more detectors come on line the lower the price will be. The high end detectors like the GPZ will have to lower their price to sell. When this comes about I'll go buy the GPZ I've been wanting.

For all of us out in the cold or heat swinging a detector it's a win win win all the way.

Let it be best to all in 2017 in the detector you swing!

Chuck

RR don`t like your hopes of seeing a big price drop on the Z, but be good to see a QED and other new detectors. I have submitted my interests in the QED and should be advised once one is available.... Having had a successful backyard manufacturing business myself thus a bit of a soft spot there, I`ll give the QED a go as my early customers gave me a go, time will tell.

• Like 3

Norvic

I too don't see the price on the Z to drop anytime soon. I've been in business over the years in different forums but in any I had to make a profit to keep it going. The same is true with any detector company in it's all about profit but sales come first. That new detector coming on line has to have something no other has to offer. If it's the same it's just got to be doing it better than the others. Some may use the term a edge in some form over another.

The Best !

Chuck

• Like 1