Finally - The QED Arrives?

Draft owners manual available for download at http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/media/qed-operations-manual.pdf

Odd that ground balance is labeled as delay, which in a PI is normally associated with pulse delay. It always confuses people when manufacturers break with convention. This is a draft however.

It does appear that small targets are hi tone and large targets lo tone, and that the tones are reversible via the pitch function. From the manual above:

"Increase for a higher pitch and decrease for a lower pitch. This usually only need to be done once the operator is happy with the setting. Take note of the number as a “load factory defaults” will reset the value. If PITCH is an ODD (factory default) number i.e. 25, 27 etc then small targets will produce a rising pitch. If PITCH is adjusted to an even number then large targets will produce a rising pitch. Please note that the Ground Balance and BIAS adjustment directions will be reversed."

The one odd thing I see is the short warranty of just a year. If you can get out everyday to use this detector I'm sure that would be long enough for trouble to pop up. Most time if you going to have a problem with electronics it will come up in the first year. With me I may not get out to nugget hunt just one time in that warranty year..So to me it is short time.

Where do I get in line to buy it.Haha

Chuck

When this BW fella decided to remove the internal Lithium Ion battery from inside QED's control box and use an external  battery holder attached to the top of the control box and then use Nickel Metal Hydride batteries it seems he has now listened to the fallout.

Therefore he has now come up with using a external battery case that could hold up to 3 packs of Lithium Ion batteries that could allow up to 40 hours of operation.

Once it is setup it would allow balanced charging without removing the cells and then having it attached to beneath the arm rest it would also counter act the weight of the coil at the other end of the S shaft  and lower stem.

I think the contenders are keen, well this one is, well was, just need a QED to review. Has anyone who has paid for one been given a time when they will receive theirs?

Maybe we not get our hopes up too much as it may not reach the outright depth of the GPX & GPZ.

It appears to use a completely different way from what we are use too, to set it for the best target response by using the Bias and Volume. The Gain according to the manual does not increase depth and acts as an amplifier.

The Mode could be different timings and maybe one of them is suitable for use on beach sand with little to no mineralisation and for Relic and Coin use.

For me, it will not compete with the Z, no way, but it "may" replace what I do use the SDC for primarily, that is to help in the recovery of deep Z gold. It is only a single channel PI, that limits it greatly in my experience, but those adjustments "may" help offset this. There its weight and its ability to use the PIs coils make it attractive, I`m thinking along the lines of a sadie coil, to complement my use of the Z. Who knows it might do this admirably, in which case a shortened shaft and slung on the back of backpack may be the go.

But this is just speculation, only way to find out is to try one, or to wait for a review from a reliable independent user. However at this stage it appears it is not near ready for the market.

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

There its weight and its ability to use the PIs coils make it attractive, I`m thinking along the lines of a sadie coil, to complement my use of the Z.

It certainly would have a weight advantage with the 12" Evo coil over most other PIs and less than the SDC even without its batteries installed.

Also appears able to accept any brand of mono coil of all sizes large and small down to the sadie, 8" and 6" rounds.

• 2 weeks later...