The Z 19 Skid Plate Modification

Norvic

38 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I don't have the 19" yet and you guys are 'scaring' me about it a bit.  But ... I've worn out a couple of the 14" skid plates and a couple of the 2300s and I'm not really a scraper so I have begun using a spray on it.  The spray I use is like an undercoating but it is really called a truck bed liner.  I've applied it once all over the coil covers and now I will 'spot add' depending on where it grows thin.  It is tough and applies easily.  It should also keep a cover from chipping or ripping. I am using black but it must come in colors.

Mitchel

Hey Mitchel
I don`t know about that stuff you are talking about because I have never tried it but the polycarbonate is a "set and forget".
 I bought the 7000 the day they were released and this is the second skid plate I have fitted to the 14. The first plate hadn`t worn out but I over size the plate about ¼" all the way round so if I whack a rock the polycarbonate takes the impact and not the coil and the ¼" overhang was cracking
cheers Dave
25grqbp.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

What, how and what not to do ..... pics??

Cheers

mate I don`t have a hell of a lot in the way of pictures but the polycarbonate cuts easy with tin snips.  Back when I had a 5000 I was a coil tragic and I have a shed full of coils I will probably never use again and I put the lexan on every coil I owned except my UFO. I didn`t put it on the UFO because I never wore out the the Coiltek skid plate.   
 I bought off this supplier but I bought the 1.2m x 2.4m sheet for about 90 bucks. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1220x1220x1mm-UV2-polycarbonate-Clear-Sheet-FREE-Postage-Lexan-Makrolon-Supply-/252341081399?hash=item3ac0b35537:g:j5gAAMXQ-3NRnFy9
I over size the Lexan about ¼" all the way round, VERY lightly sand the coil but gouge the hell out of the lexan, apply a THIN bead of silastic to the Lexan with a little in the middle of the coil, place the Lexan on the concrete and then TWIST the coil onto the sheet. Once you are happy that you have no air bubbles and it is well seated, no need to put weights on it or anything else, just walk away from it for a day. It will never come off unless you want it to come off
Dave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phoenix said:

Good on you Norvic

Mate before you put the 2 together lightly sand the skid plate but gouge the hell out of the polycarbonate with the sand paper. If you apply silastic to smooth polycarbonate it will peel off, but once you`ve gouged it the only way it will come off is if you want it off

cheers Dave

Hey Dave 

I'm about to stick my 1mm pollycarb directly to my coil , Ill be using automotive Gray 3 bond sealer this stuff will not peel ever, unless you make it peel what is the ozy forum link ?

cheers Marty

Thanks for that Dave , mine looks a little different as I didn't include the centre section just the 2 sides and main centre shall bond them tomorrow directly to the coil and not the coil cover 

Like you, I also like the 19", there is more to this coil where others have dismissed it as a dud I find it Less is more and far greater coverage , who care if you dont find the big stuff as long as the smaller keeps coming as it has been for more including a 22 gramer that 14" couldnt see 

Cheers Marty

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 9:44 PM, phoenix said:

Hey Mitchel
I don`t know about that stuff you are talking about because I have never tried it but the polycarbonate is a "set and forget".
 I bought the 7000 the day they were released and this is the second skid plate I have fitted to the 14. The first plate hadn`t worn out but I over size the plate about ¼" all the way round so if I whack a rock the polycarbonate takes the impact and not the coil and the ¼" overhang was cracking
cheers Dave
25grqbp.jpg

Dave,

I think the idea of your lexan is probably the ultimate solution for use of the coil.

You can put it directly on the ground, rocks, sand, etc. and it will still be 'above it' as Minelab recommends for this coil.  What is that optimal distance above the ground?  Is 1mm plus the coil cover thickness a proper elevation? (The center can't be put on the ground directly no matter what you do.)

This would also satisfy JP's coil control concerns by keeping the coil flat through its swing. The coil could remain relatively flat as it bounces off the rocks so that their would be minimal damage to the coils.

Mitchel

• 2 weeks later...

Phoenix and anyone else in AU, did the Lexan skid plate impact the performance of the GPZ? :unsure:

Thanks,

Bill

Yes a pretty big positive impact, stops a lot of "bump" signals,(think it keeps receive and transmit coils relatively "static" to each other) allows it to slide over grass without getting caught(weight keeps it down) and no damage from "banging" rocks. Way to go for me, no more wasting gold on expensive crap coil covers, plus Bunnings stock the stuff (0.8mm which seems thick enough so far)

Like Phoenix says 500% better.

• Like 1

Norvic, I understand the improvement in "ease of detecting", but does the Lexan skid plate reduce detecting depth or signal strength compared to a standard thickness skid plate from ML?  I've never made a skid plate before, so after spending $$$$ for this new coil, I don't want to negatively impact it's depth performance (up to 40% deeper than the 14" coil).:unsure:

Bill