Covering Ground Vs Going For Depth

So true, Steve;

I had visions of big, deep nuggets waiting for me and the gpz; they are still visions! Yes, for the amount of time I put into detecting I have found decent gold. Some of those nuggets were very deep but not the multi ounce giants I dreamed of. So, until I pass over that thumper (I know it is coming) I remain happy with one great detector that finds them small and finds them all...I hope.

fred

• Like 6

Most of the time for me covering ground is the go over depth, because I mainly hunt virgin ridges, plus I cannot recall the indicator piece on a patch being over say an ounce, most times it is a sub grammer, it is when cleaning up patches I go for depth, where downhill below the smaller stuff on the ridges there is depth.

Going for one or the other depends on the country you are searching also, as the country I do has very few alluvials, ridges are the go but not always, I guess being flexible is the real go.

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

I have had the same train of thought, going low and slow over pounded out areas, but a while back while I was hunting Gold Basin, (a real hard pounded out area), a young man I ran into was using a minelab, showed me the amount of gold found , and his method was go fast !!!  He found more gold in 1 weekend, than I found in the last 3-6 months going slow.  So I decided to put this to the test...and hunt fast. I found 3 times more gold hunting fast, so now I have stuck to this way of hunting. I still do the low and slow on washes I have already visited.

Dave

• Like 8

I don't know that much about PI coils but I was always under the belief that the further you got from the coil, the smaller the response area?

If that were true, when you are going fast and not overlapping (and overlapping again), wouldn't you have a good chance of not even hearing a big, deep target? 

• Like 1

Going fast and getting maximum depth/full coverage to depth are mutually exclusive. You can do one or the other. I do agree that if I wanted to do the go fast, cover ground thing I would rather use a GPX.

I think some of it is a personal thing. Some people like zooming around. By nature I am more the methodical type so the GPZ and going slow suits my personal hunting style better.