Covering Ground Vs Going For Depth

There are no settings per se that everyone should be using. It is dependent on the ground and the gold. That is why the adjustments exist. Experimentation on found targets with varied settings should be just part of the routine. What is working for me running a Z14 coil in mild ground on smaller gold is unlikely to work well for somebody in Oz in bad ground on different gold.

I swear I am no authority on how to get optimum performance anyway. I just get close, that's all. I rely more on sheer hours and patience than anything - I am the blind squirrel detectorist.

• Like 4

Your not wrong, Steve, I thought with hot settings that I found so successful on the 14, they`d work on the 19 for me. It was mostly so with the PIs and the VLFs (when going up in coil size) but ZVT in particular the 19 is different (for me). This has got me thinking it is not only due to ZVT but the 19 has more advanced windings then the 14.

What has really stuck for me is two things JP has spoken of, ZVT works better in low noise, and upping the volume control on the Z is akin to upping the sensitivity.(exact words I am not quoting just my interpretation) You up the volume, you drop the threshold to suit but your not gaining anything but noise which may not be a good objective with ZVT, same with sensitivity. But as you point out Steve that is why there are adjustments to cater for the individual.

• Like 1

Re (  I have friends who detect in exactly the opposite manner, they range out covering huge areas, moving quickly.)  To me this was the way in the 80's and 90"s. 2 of my friends always came up with big nuggets, because they covered so much ground and had fast swings, with the easy gold/big nuggets found, I think its the slow method now that gets results.

• Like 3

When your hunting tailings, you have no choice but going slow, very slow and digging it all. I don't know many place up here in the Sierras where you can swing at a moderate speed and cover a lot of ground. The terrain makes it not possible. But out in the open, America's south west or Australia....covering ground would be the way to go, especially in low trash areas...

• Like 2