Minelab SDC 2300 Field Recharging of "C" Cell Batteries

Hello all,

I have been assigned to ask just how you guys out in the field recharge your batteries for your Minelab SDC 2300 gold detector? I am really curious, as I saw one of those new detectors in a box, and it had separately, not in the box, a off the shelf charger with standard 2 prong 120v. plug end. Aside from having a portable generator, or an inverter, how WOULD you charge your rechargeable c cell batteries? The rest of the Minelabs had a 12v plug that would work in any 12 volt plug in a vehicle, but this one has me stumped a little. I know there could be others that will be curious about this in due time...

Thanks for setting me straight, as most times in the field, I don't have a current bush to plug into.
Maybe I am missing something somewhere...

Have great day!

Gary

Been charging my batteries in the field for almost a month now off 12V. I purchased a smart charger off Amazon that works with various batteries including C cells. It only came with a 110V wall adapter but I tried the 12V adapter that came with my ATX and it seemed to work. Until today, when the adapter mysteriously died. So now I am running a small inverter off my car 12V to run the charger.

The Tenergy rechargeable C cells I got for extras charge much faster than the Minelab set and seem to last about as long in use. But I admit to not running a stopwatch to be sure. I get roughly 7 hours of use on a fully charged set of NiMH batteries.

Try sollar chargers... but only good quality... and this is not cheap option unfortunately.

Hi all,

I guess the option for the guy who is contemplating an extended stay in the back country, is to have a case of c cell batteries, or and inverter, along with multiple sets of rechargeables.   Opens up a whole lot of possibilities.  I used to carry a fresh 12 volt car battery along in the bed of my truck, with an inverter hooked up to it, to charge my old gel cell minelab batteries.  I have no idea how many recharges one could get off of that set up, with the charger that comes with the new SDC 2300, however.  Solar is expensive and ok for desert work, but in Alaska, probably not practicable everyday.  

Looks like some enterprising person such a Doc, needs to come up with a whiz bang solution to this situation.  Now I realize why I was getting the silent treatment when I posed the question of turn around recharge time for the c batteries in the field around the forum circuit...

Wishing you guys lots of luck!

Gary  

The lack of response is more related to the SDC barely hitting the market than anything else. If I were away from my vehicle only 2 or 3 days I would pack several sets of batteries. More than that I would use solar, which in summer in Alaska actually works better than you might think. I did not have time to shop around and there are so many solar options these days I wanted to check them all out before making a purchase.

Same issue with any detector really. I like that Garrett supplies a charger that works with both 110v and 12v with the ATX and for the bucks Minelab should do the same.

Hi Steve and all,

As you indicate, as the SDC 2300 is a new entry into the detector options, it will take a little time for folks to realize they will either have to pass on the machine, or have to spend more dollar$ after the sale, to make this machine more user friendly out in the field.

People who spend extended time in the field will be more impacted with this issue, than the guy that has a big motorhome, and spends only a weekend or so, putting about with his new favorite metal detector, or using his many r.v. batteries or generator to charge his batteries if he chooses.  I have a small generator, a Honda EU2000i, but I wouldn't want to run the thing for however many hours it takes, when I could plug a charger into my truck or atv outlet and hit the hay, as I have done for many years.  I would also have a second set of rechargeables ready, just because I believe in having extra of those critical items.

I really hope there is a solution in the works for this.  I would think the wheels are turning already...

Thanks!  Hope you can match Chris's nice slug today!

Gary 

Hello,

I did some snooping around, found that the same company that makes the charger provided with the new Minelab SDC 2300, which is VANSON, does make "C" cell vehicle chargers for the those batteries supplied with that new detector.

Unfortunately, the charger supplied with the detector, or at least the one I saw, is a 110 wall charger, which just won't work in a vehicles accessory charge port...

I believe somehow, someone, with the best of intentions ordered the incorrect chargers.  Vanson does make a combo 110 charger for the batteries, which also includes a charging plug for a vehicle charge port, just like every other Minelab I have owned for the last 20 years.  And, as welll, this charger combo also comes with 4 Powerizer "c" batteries, or you can get that same charger with  4 Tenergy rechargeable "c" cell batteries, same price...

Hope this helps!

Gary

• Like 1

What is the model number of the charger supplied with the SDC 2300?

I ask because after a little research if it's a Vansen/Tenergy brand charger, there is and or could be a 12V adapter that will work with the supplied charger depending on the model number.

Hello Skip,

Re:  12v. adapter availability:  That could very well be the case, and thank you for comments! 

I don't know right off what the model number of the charger might be.  Maybe someone else can chime in with that model number for you.

For the price of the detector, it should be sold with both charging plug options, right out of the box. It could be some of the new machines DID have both charging capabilities with their new machines. 

I am in no position to know, and as Steve indicated, it is too early on after the release of the machines for feedback, for various reasons.  It was just an observation on my part.

As I indicated previously, every Minelab that I have ever owned, since the early 90's, that utilized rechargeable batteries, came with both 110 and 12v capabilities for recharging.

As I indicated previously, I believe that this situation was an inadvertent oversight.

Best wishes, and thank you for your interest!

Gary 

The model number from the Vanson supplied charger is BC-1HU.

I noticed the batteries get very hot, I know they normally get pretty warm while charging, but these things got hot enough that they could not be held without much discomfort. I would not want to leave these charging while I was away, or asleep. 

I do not know what the normal charge time is, but I had them on the charger for 5 hrs and the lights were still red so I stopped charging because I feel the batteries were too hot.