Minelab SDC 2300 Field Recharging of "C" Cell Batteries

Hi Ken and all,

In the past couple of days, I took the leap of faith, buying a Minelab SDC 2300, feeling that somehow this battery thing would be figured out eventually.

What I received, and NOT included in the detector box, was a Vanson Model V-9688, Universal Ni-MH battery charger (with USB port) which I was initially reluctant to open, but wanting to use the machine at a prospecting club outing this weekend, I did use the charger last evening. 

What is different with the rechargeables, is that the batteries have to be discharged before they can be recharged.  That could be standard, I don't have previous experience with such things, so I followed the directions. :)

The discharge process takes some time, the instructions indicated the device would automatically begin charging of the batteries, after the discharge process was completed.  This morning the charger readout screen showed all the batteries were charged.  I hope so.

All that being said, there still remains the issue of recharging in the field, which, as it is now, with the supplied charger, you need to have:   1. an rv with an inverter  2.  A battery power source, as well as an inverter that, if you don't already have one with the correct specs, will have go out and buy one.

All this for the lack of a simple 12 volt male plug, that can be plugged into a vehicle battery port. 

I know someone will come up with a solution to this, but, I have searched all battery suppliers and sporting goods in my area for such, by thus far have had zero (no) success...  There could be more to this story that is unsaid, but thus far, no one is talking.   IF I can find some additional batteries of the correct specs talked about in the owners manual, I may buy some.  But that still limits my time in the field, however, to a couple of days, unless I buy some non-rechargeable batteries, which do not have a great run time, I understand and are expensive.

Gary

On 7/16/2014 at 2:18 AM, Ken Walls said:

The model number from the Vanson supplied charger is BC-1HU.

I noticed the batteries get very hot, I know they normally get pretty warm while charging, but these things got hot enough that they could not be held without much discomfort. I would not want to leave these charging while I was away, or asleep. 

I do not know what the normal charge time is, but I had them on the charger for 5 hrs and the lights were still red so I stopped charging because I feel the batteries were too hot.

Here's a 12V adapter that is for the BC-1HU charger....

Car Plug Adaptor for BC1HU, TN190, Tenergy RCR123A Chargers

Gary,

I have search for a 12 volt adapter for the model you have "Vanson Model V-9688", but no luck as of yet, I also only found a coupe of websites that even lists the Vanson model you mentioned but the chargers I found doesn't do C cells only AA and AAA batteries, I did however find many results for a charger by a different company..."Tenergy Model T-9688",  Vanson and Tenergy are apparently linked, at the linked website I posted in my previous post lists most but not all of the Vanson or Tenergy products such as chargers, batteries, etc. as "Tenergy Vanson", but I still couldn't find a 12 V adapter specifically for the Tenergy Model T-9688 or Vanson Model V-9688 .

Is this what your charger looks like, this charger is listed as "Tenergy Model t-9688" on many different websites, I believe the differences is only the T and V  in the model number depending on which name is on the charger?

90271-T9688-and-Premium-NiMH-C%20(1x250)

Here is a link the Tenegry Model T-9688 from the website from my previous post, maybe you could call or email them to see if the adapter I posted above will also work for this charger if it's the same as your's.

Also if you notice, even though the caption at the top of the page list this charger as a Tenegry Model T-9688, you will notice that the package says Vanson on it.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-01127.html

**Looks the same as the one I have and used last evening, Skip.

I went to Onlybatteries.com

Disclaimer:  I know nothing about the above website nor their business practices. 

I found under:   4 bay smart chargers w/ car cord & batteries

Don't do a search on that OnlyBatteries.com website, it will always come up with zero, as they want you to contact them.

Find:  V-2299 Item number 16134   Price is $61+ dollars, has what I need, plus choice of Powerizer or Tenergy 5000 mHa rechargeable batteries, your choice, same price.

I will use the charger I received at purchase of my new SDC 2300 at home only. Or if I get an r.v again, I will use the inverter in that trailer.

I hope this helps.  I don't think anyone having anything to do w/Minelab will be of much help in this, which is understandable.  I talked with a couple ML dealers, and they are non committal, like "you are on your own", until we hear from Minelab.  So this is why I have been beating the brush trying to find what I could use until I could find an acceptable car charger, if there is one that is up to the job of pumping up these powerful 5000 mHa "c" batteries.

I did buy some RAYOVAC ULTRA PRO "c" batteries, which are non-chargeable throw-aways.  I bought 4 packs of 6 each, to do me for the upcoming weekend, cost me in the neighborhood of $16.00 for that many (24) batteries.    A nice nugget would cover that... :D

Oh, by the way, I bought them at BATTERIES Plus.  I don't think you will find a better source of c batteries at a decent price than there. "C" cell batteries are a very rare item, even at a big box store.                                                              On the package of my batteries, it reads:  LASTS AS LONG AS DURACELL...  We shall see...

I hope this helps.  Us end users need to help each other right now, until we get this thing figured out...

Again, thanks again to Steve Herschbach for this place to grouse a little... :wub:

Have a dandy day!

Gary / Largo

Chris and I have been having excellent results with the Tenergy cell sold on Amazon. The listed 8 pack gives me two extra sets of batteries in addition to the Minelab set.

My SDC came with no charger so I also got the Maximal Power FC999 charger, but it also has no 12v option. Been a good charger though and is currently being used with a small inverter jacked into a cigarette outlet in my 4-Runner.

post-1-0-11302600-1405525335_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Skip, that is a better deal!  I will check it out more fully.

Thanks very much!  8 batteries would be great!

And, it does do the discharge function, which is necessary for these batteries...

I wonder how many other new owners are wondering how to solve this odd situation

we have been presented with? 

Gary

Steve, what is the wattage of your inverter you use in your 4-Runner?

I have an old Coleman 400 watt inverter I used, along with an auto battery I carried to the field in the bed of my truck.  I used it to charge my old SD2100 batteries.  I wonder if that would have enough beef to charge these "C" 5000 mHa batteries?  I suspect it might, but how long it would take, I have no idea. 

As an aside, that old SD2100 I just mentioned was sold quite some time back to Lanny Rolls, (Lanny in Alberta) at Treasurenet.com, who writes such wonderful gold prospecting stories of southern Alberta, Canada.  He mentions "that faithful old 2100" in his gold hunting stories occasionally.  His stories remind be a bit of a young prospector I have read about in Alaska, for so many years...  Steve something...

Gary/Largo

Ken, I agree!

Gary/Largo