Minelab SDC 2300 Field Recharging of "C" Cell Batteries

"C" cell batteries are rare??????   They are everywhere in the stores around here.

This must be a different "C" cell that you are talking about??

Hi Gary,

Lanny is a great guy. I am flattered to be compared to him. And glad you like the forum - we needed a place to say stuff like it is.

The inverter is just a cheapie from Amazon but so far it is working just fine. Schumacher XI14 140 watts (280 watt peak), probably too light for most applications but powers my charger just fine.

post-1-0-58206100-1405572655_thumb.jpg

Steve,

What charger are you using?  I would assume it discharges your rechargeable batteries then automatically recharges them?  This discharge thing of the rechargeables is a new thing to me.  I guess it makes the batteries life longer.  I didn't do it with the lithium ion batteries, although something tells me it was a good thing to run them pretty much down once in a while prior to recharging.  I am a carpenter or was, and this electronics thing escapes me for the most part...

Maybe I will try my inverter one of these days.

Take care!

Gary/Largo

Maximal Power FC999 which has been working great.

I charge NiMH batteries whenever I feel like it. Their big selling point is no memory. Maybe discharge thing is just for initial use. Anyway, all I can say Gary is I have been charging my batteries for over a month in the field now with no real issues. The standard 12v male cigarette adapters apparently do not have enough horsepower to run these chargers as we blew the fuses in two of them trying to do so. I hot wired one and we are using it and have not blown the fuse in my Toyota yet. But the little inverter is probably the best way to go.

post-1-0-16309200-1405611274_thumb.jpg

LipCa,

The SDC 2300 metal detector comes with 4 5000 mHa "C" batteries.  The mHa give the batteries a longer run time than the normal every day "c" batteries.  That is what makes them hard to find, plus they are rechargeable, which every day c batteries are not.  You use the every day c battery up and throw them away, then buy some more, if you like throwing money away.  That is why the search is for a rechargeable c battery, and a means to recharge them.

I hope this helps!

Gary

I understand about the rechargeables.  But you said you bought non rechargeables at Batteries Plus and followed that with the "C batteries are rare" statement.  Led me to believe you were talking about non rechargeables........

LipCa,

What you say is true, to be more precise, non-rechargeables with high run time are of a more of a less common variety.  You want find "c" batteries with the longest run time possible in absence of finding suitable rechargeables, as these detectors suck the power out of a run of the mill 1.5v battery very quickly. And these detectors use 4 of these batteries, just to be able to turn the machine on and begin gold detecting.

The suggested MINIMUM for a rechargeable, if or when available, is 4000 mHa.  A non-rechargeable industrial "c" battery, mHa rating is 1400 mHa when you can find them, a far cry from the longer running rechargeable minimum 4000 mHa batteries. These are the more beefy, batteries that you may find at specialty electronic supply houses construction supply stores, and probably not at your corner gas station, or Walmart.

The feedback I have received from the field for Duracell copper top "c" cell batteries set of four each, is about 4.5 hours run time, if you are paying attention to your stop watch, and if you spend 8 hours swinging your metal detector all day, and burn up 8 or these 1.5v "c" non-rechargeable batteries, you then begin to realize through pretty simple math, and a thinner wallet, that the rechargables are a good choice, again, if you can find them.

You must have a means to recharge your batteries in the field, which, as has been learned, can be problematic right now, but can be dealt with, if you are the inventive type, and have realized and anticipated there could be a problem doing such, before you left home.     

I hope this helps...

I am tired.  :)

Gary

NY, USA  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883812-REG/Powerex_MHRCI2_IMEDION_Ready_When.html

For the Aus crowd: http://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/24312/maha-powerex-imedion-rechargable-5000mah-c-batteries-2-pack-mhrci2.html

UK/Euro: http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/C_Size_Rechargeable_NiMH_Batteries.html

And no-one has yet brought up custom battery packs in fanny packs or in the backpack.  Drop the weight off of your arm and put all 8 C-cells (in serial/parallel as needed) and just go