Minelab SDC 2300 Field Recharging of "C" Cell Batteries

Hi Chris,

That may be the way I have to go, unless I can snag one at a Costco showing of the product.

Gary

Hello,

I am seeing there are several options for recharging of the SDC 2300 "C" cell batteries, as long as there are at least one or two extra battery sets on hand for the next detecting day.  I know there are questions in peoples minds about how to go about it.  You won't find that subject cussed or discussed in any other forum that I have found, but right here.   :-)  

Rechargeable batteries do take some significant time even with a 115v outlet, if you have it conveniently available, so I know it will take much longer with a solar panel setup.  The question that comes up next for these recharging setups, is how fast can those 4 batteries be recharged with what voltage solar panel?  A 7 volt.  A 12 volt.  A 15 volt.  A 20 volt, etc., with optimal sun exposure, or that absent, a solar battery that can be had for a few extra hundreds of dollars. 

Today I saw a Net Zero 15v panel at Sportsman's Warehouse for $159.00 on sale, problem there is it is wired to hook up to 12v. battery via spring clamps.  Now if it could be rewired, putting a female 12v receptacle on it, one could use it coupled with an inverter for use with the 115v charger that comes with the SDC 2300, but I still don't have any idea how long it would take, for a 15v solar panel to charge the batteries.   Lots of depends on this, and lots depends on that... 

To be brazenly honest, Minelab did no favors to the end user of this detector, by not providing a simpler solution for field recharging of the detectors batteries.  I have a Honda Eu2000i generator which could recharge my batteries very nicely, if I wanted to listen to that nice little generator for however many hours it would take, using that very inexpensive 115v charger that came with the machine, or I can plug in an inverter to my 12v. accessory plug in my truck and charge that way.  

While we are about it, a pigtail adapter for using your own headphones should be in the works by some enterprising soul by now.  I know it has been mentioned on a down under forum, but that topic was buried by hijacking of the thread by locals.  As with any new product, there are always glitches that can be dealt with by enterprising and thoughtful means.  I need to end this grousing here, lest my new 2300 be dealt a remote fatal blow...

I look forward to using my new detecta very soon, I don't believe I will be disappointed with the results!

Gary 

I totally agree with this. I am sure Minelab figured people would just take some backup alkaline batteries in the field with them. But there still needs to be a better way to recharge them in the field, and it should be in the package. 

I can only wonder how long those solar panels will take to recharge these batteries, mine take all day plugged into a wall outlet.

Still a great detector.

• Like 1

Thanks, Ken for your comments! 

I know our comments are sometimes like whistling in the wind, BUT people are paying attention to what we say, especially on this forum, as it is a non-dealer run site.  Thanks to Steve Herschbach, for making the forum available as always.

I think that when the new SDC 2300 kinks are worked out, Minelab may see the light and provide a means for field charging.  But something tells me there is a reason why there has not been, given the bright minds that design the Minelab metal detectors.  I can't imagine that it was an oversight.

As discussed in other posts, (thanks, Steve)  there IS a headphone adapter being made available.  A little pricey, IMO, but it does have a very special ball locking connector on one end that is not a normal over the counter part.  I am a little surprised that someone on this side of the pond has not jumped on to that opportunity.  Add to that a means to keep the machine from tipping over when it is set on the ground on less than level surfaces.  A simple add on there could be made, as well as a way to deal with the arm rest closing on your arm when it is on fire...  (anyone paying attention?) ;-)  

Gary 

Well after a lot of looking I would say that off the shelf chargers that offer a 12v option without use of an inverter are few and far between. Chris and I both used 12v auto adapters on the charger we have and both blew fuses. We got one hotwired to work but obviously the chargers are drawing more than normally intended off a 12v outlet. I think the safest route at this time is to use an inverter off 12v. My 14w inverter seems to run my charger just fine and so that is the way I am going for now.

Minelab does not make everything and it looks to me like they are just having a hard time sourcing a good charger option that includes 12v. But I totally agree that this should have been figured out well before the unit going to market, same as a headphone adapter or even underwater phones for that matter.

Seriously though, going forward I doubt there will be many times when I will need anything other than a couple sets of spare batteries to get me by. That is a good three days of detecting before having to worry about charging issues.

• Like 1

I have 12 rechargeables in the 5000 mHa range, plus some throw away batteries for a few days.  I have looked at quite a few solar possibilities, but for a person of limited electrical experience, it would be folly for me to throw more dollars at a system I know little about.  I may chat with a local fellow that is big into solar, maybe he can tell me what I need to know about set up needs for outback battery recharging.  Hope to get down south to my old patches soon.  Chris knows where a couple of them are...  ;-)  

Thanks!

Gary   

I agree with the tipping issue, I know it wont hurt the machine, but im alittle anal when it comes to my equipment. I dont want it getting scratched up or muddy if I can help it. The Garrett ATX is the same, it wont tip, but it does sit directly on the ground. 

I have fit little rubber legs that I bought at True Value Hardware to both machines. A dab of superglue on each leg , now at least im not setting the machines on the dirt or mud. It doesnt help the tipping issue with the SDC, but Im just careful setting it down.

I think if the SDC gets more popular, there will be more people looking into ways to help out with the little issues we dont like.

So far it seems that the SDC has not taken off like they had thought, or at least thats my view. I have not recieved one call on the SDC yet, and have not sold one yet either.