New Forums For 2017

Steve Herschbach

So if you make the four new forums,detecting coins, jewelry, relics and minerals. Where do we post about other stuff like general prospecting other than with a metal detector?

I do like the idea of one forum as almost all the subjects have been interesting.

My two cents would be to add to the archive and open that to new post.

Maybe the question should be why are we not posting on the other subjects as much?

Now that winter is here things are slowing down for me and I plan to get some of my summer dredging stuff posted, but those post are quite an oddity here. Sometimes I hesitate to post that stuff but the likes I have received tell me you guys are ok with it.

I really can see others and potential new members not wanting to break the ice and deiced to move on.

Id be really curios what others think.

• Like 1

This idea may work well for you Steve. As you know I originally had seven forums on my board. But my board was quite different from yours in that, the forums on the board were totally unrelated to each other. This created a problem for me eventually because members were of all different interests, hunting, fishing, trapping prospecting, I even had one for the Alaska State Troopers.

People would register, come back a few times and then never return. The only forum that kept going was the prospecting forum, so I started deleting forums that there was no interest in.

I am down to four right now and the only one that gets any use is the prospecting forum. I will most likely narrow it down to just the prospecting forum.

Your idea I believe will work well because the whole board is geared toward metal detecting. The proposed changes would serve to appeal to members that focus on certain aspects of metal detecting, which was mentioned in this very thread.

Two of your members on this thread have already said that they do not nugget shoot, but like to come for other aspects of metal detecting that they are interested in. So "forum specific" forums on one board would appeal to those members that are only interested in one aspect of metal detecting.

Also, having specific forums listed on one board may help with search engine optimization.

I didn't mean to write a book here, but your idea brought back memories of my original idea for my board, which you were a moderator of. So I knew you would understand the workings of both ideas.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

So if you make the four new forums,detecting coins, jewelry, relics and minerals. Where do we post about other stuff like general prospecting other than with a metal detector?

I do like the idea of one forum as almost all the subjects have been interesting.

My two cents would be to add to the archive and open that to new post.

Maybe the question should be why are we not posting on the other subjects as much?

Now that winter is here things are slowing down for me and I plan to get some of my summer dredging stuff posted, but those post are quite an oddity here. Sometimes I hesitate to post that stuff but the likes I have received tell me you guys are ok with it.

I really can see others and potential new members not wanting to break the ice and deiced to move on.

Id be really curios what others think.

Myself I am interested in all things gold the different ways to get it. Even if it is something I may never use I still find it very interesting.

And just because it is something I don't do today doesn't mean that tomorrow I won't try it!

I think being out in the bush or desert or whatever terrain you may detect that you should keep your mind open to all the possibilities.

You could go out looking for a gold nugget and end up finding a civil war belt buckle or a meteorite or an old camp spot that contains 150 year old bottles in a garbage pit etc etc etc. Detecting is like a box of chocolates!

I think you know the rest!!!!!

I look forward to all the new forums especially the gem and geology.

This has become the only forum that I check on a daily basis and the only one I post on. Adding more forums will only make it more interesting!

I particularly like how when things are a little slow that Steve digs up some fresh info and posts it and I like how most everyone gets along and respects other opinions.

2017 is already shaping up!

• Like 4

I kinda like things the way they are. Simple that is. Check one spot and see what you like and click on it. If you go to Treasurenet there are so many subforms that it's overwhelming. I only check  2-3 of them. And thats if I have a lot of time. Creating archives like you have is great but I can imagine it must be very time consuming. Once in a blue moon I'l skim through those. One thing I've noticed is that if I do a search on Google it almost always brings me back to this site....so you are doing something right. Thanks for a great resource!

strick

• Like 5

9 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

Where do we post about other stuff like general prospecting other than with a metal detector?

This forum is the prospecting forum - nothing changes in that regard. Though perhaps a Gold Panning, Sluicing, and Dredging Forum is possible.

Like I said though, for people who like how things are now, just keep doing what you are doing. Nothing will really change on this forum and I expect it to continue on as is.

• Like 4

On 12/17/2016 at 3:01 PM, walkerrj said:

Great ideas Steve.  Regarding Meteorites, I'm thinking it would fit fine under the "Rocks, Minerals, Gems & Geology" forum.

Meteorites by themselves would be my choice.  They are not a rock, a mineral, a gem or anything more or less than OUT OF THIS WORLD!

• Like 4

Steve,

I'm in.  I was looking at Weebly to create my own online books for hunting jewelry, and some detector related stuff.    I could just as well put that stuff on your site.  Might still move it all to a blog type site later in a more organized fashion but it would go well on a jewelry hunting site, inland jewelry hunting for me, anyway as I have no beach to speak of.

HH
MIke

• Like 3