Vallon Metal Detectors

• 7 months later...

Mr Phrunt, I can give  you a little info. I bought one of the two Vallons that Rick had. Carl Morelands Geotech forum has about all the information you can digest. Currently the Vallon thread is up to 77 pages. I use the Vallon on the beach in addition to the Equinox. I use the Equinox probably 95% of the time. I often carry the Vallon on my back to use when I hit that certain situation on my particular beach where the mineralization cripples the equinox. I am waiting for my Impulse and expect the Vallon will get retired.

The Vallon is an awesome piece of kit for the price. you can update the software yourself or send it in and have it done. Before I bought mine RIck sent it in and had it cleaned up and pressure tested plus updated it with civilian software. Vallon is funny about the software and them doing the upgrade. In the US they will update it but not for export for fear it will get used to hunt mines again. The main reason is that the US civilian software will allow you to remove the confidence click that lets the operator know the detector is working every minute. For civilian use it is a pain in the ass. The software does turn on a lot of features.

The Vallon comes with a piezio earpiece (only one ear) and is a pain to use. To use a headset like we use, you need to add a impedance matching transformer. My solution was to get a bluetooth transmitter and go wireless. I just had to buy the transmitter, a plug to match the Vallon plug. If you get the Vallon I can turn you on to all the particulars. All the information is buried in the Geotech forum.

From what I have read the Vallon is not the hot ticket for small gold. There is a fellow from down in your neck of the woods that posted on Geotech Forum a good bit about using his Vallon in the field.

Its a cool machine, built like a tank. Waterproof, only issue is the membrane switches on the pod start to depress on their own after the pod is couple of feet deep but it wont flood!

Thomas who posts as "Carolina" on this site has a Vallon and has used his on the beach far more than me. He is a wealth of information.

Cheers,

Tim

• Thanks 1

Hi Phrunt,

I have had mine over 2 years now. Actually Rick bought 2 after i posted about using mine. It cost me $388 ozzie dollars landed . The one i got is complete no broken bits. You can't go wrong with it as a beach detector. It is deeper than my whites dual field. I have Powerex rechargeables  which last for ever.

One little trick with it is the battery cap needs to be really tight when you put batteries in the chamber if its not real tight it just won't go. Regards.

• Like 1