Some Finds From Wyoming

I grew up in South Western Wyoming.  A lot of fascinating rocks in the greater area.  Blue forest petrified wood is pretty.  I used to go diamond prospecting all across the Green River Basin.  Never found any diamonds but always found a lot of indicator minerals. 

• Like 1

Those lamproites down there in the Red Desert are definitely on my prospecting list. I'm not sure anyone has ever found a diamond in that area yet but Hausel appears to think they are pretty likely hosts... Have you heard of anyone finding one yet? I'm finding chromian diopsides in some pretty odd places too along with pyropes in even more locations throughout Wyoming. Above one location I found a depression, and a capped drill hole in the center of it. Almost wonder if they were coring for kimberlite?

I lived on a drilling rig for a year down there in the SW part of the state, about 15 miles outside of Wamsutter up in those hills. Nothing more invigorating than subzero temps in 35mph winds on a giant chunk of frozen metal all night! 

• Like 1

Hehh, I remember the Colorado gem shows well as a kid.  I'd take about 20lbs of stuff and trade around on the floor.  My very first rock, fresh from the backyard, I thought was my Eureka Gold moment!  Till dad sat me down and showed me a few things.  Still have it~ Chunk of white quartz with big flat golden mica running thru it.  Gold and Rocks kinda stuck and I'm still at it :)  Out prospecting I'm often picking up and scratching around for rocks more than the gold.

I often find it makes for a great day finding a shiny odd rock or two when there's nothing in the pan or I have a pocket full of bullets.

• Like 1

I have not heard of anyone finding a diamond in the lucite hills but I have found peridot out there.   The whole area is interesting with all of the old lava flows.  Diamonds have definitely been found on Cedar Mountain.