Thank you Tim for those kinds words...

Do you know anything regarding the regulations for beach mining in CA.?

I have not been able to find a thing and the various departments I have called are useless.

As to gold .... There has been a pretty rich history of it on the northern CA. beaches

I seem to remember seeing an old bucket line dredge off Highway 101  a bit north of Ferndale a bunch of years ago... may or may not still ba any remains... It would be interesting to detect some of the field.

Good luck in your pursuits.

I just came across this thread and really enjoyed it. I am in Roseburg and have often thought about trying the beach mining. Maybe we can get together some time and you can give me some tips. Good hunting and take care.

• 2 weeks later...

Summer isn't the best time for beach mining so I haven't really gotten out much except the couple times south of here.

We need some of those good southern storms to scrub the blond sands of the beach and reconsolidate the heavy black sands and gold. 

Here's a shot of the beach I usually goto since it is close to home and the access is easy.

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well we finally got our first good storm and so I went up to my little beach to see what it is doing.....
The drifts are gone and the blond sands are getting a pretty good washing out. 
So we may have some sand to work after all this is over.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We finally manage to get out a bit and move a little sand.

The beach still isn't prime since there was about 2 feet of overburden to get through before you got to a layer of fine gravel and large rocks some well over a 100 lbs.

The day was fantastic weather-wise but the gold was thin..... 1.86 grain..... a long way to go for that first oz. of the year.....:blink:

fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg

IMG_0805.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is all I need! ...another hobby!  I just happened upon this topic, and it has tweaked my mind!  I come across these black sand beach deposits all the time, and now I know whats hidden within.  It looks like a beach mining setup is on the to-do list now:laugh:.  Thanks for creating this very interesting and informative topic. The photos and videos are very helpful. I will be back for more.:biggrin:

Let the spending begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :rolleyes:

We just had a heck of a storm .... Really rearranged the beaches... I may try to get out a bit this weekend... will see how the weather is and how I feel, pulled a muscle in my back a couple days ago.... sucks gettin old.
The surf washed a guy of the rocks up north of me a few miles and a number of the beaches have been closed due to the flotsam that has been washing up with the large surf...
High surf rocks Oregon Coast, threatening lives and property | KVAL

Just imagine how much faster you would be getting older, not getting out ???   :cool:      I'm in the same boat !!!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1