I had to make a trip north for business and unfortunately I did not take any equipment along.....:blink:

We have had some good storms the last few weeks and it has really turned over some of the beaches.

Yup.... That is black sand and about a 4 inch layer.

Most of the time this layer is anywhere from a few inches to several feet down. There have been reports of a couple grams per 20 five gallon buckets..... occasionally better and sometime less.

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Well it has been a while since I got to the beach so I thought I would get out a little and do a bit of cleanup on some gold I already had. 

I went up to my little beach but only had a short time to work, also I was testing a little sluice to see if it would be a good sampler.

So for about 20 minutes total work from setup to take down and back to the truck I managed to pull this and verify the capabilities of the little test sluice. Now I ran about 3 gallons of sand and ran it way to fast but it was just a quick and dirty to see how things might work.

After cleanup I got this...    .34 grain.

I added it to the small bit I had and it came to 3.77 gram.

The summer is NOT the time to beach mine but I found a little spot that may have a little potential..... I will not be quitting my day job however.....:biggrin:

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

• Like 3

3.77 grams in the pan............

IMG_1103.JPG

• Like 2

Yellow Stuff !! Very Nice !!!!

Not nearly enough of it though......:biggrin:

I guess it would help if I got off my butt a little more often.

The beach most of this came from is only about 15 minutes away and a pretty easy access.

Fine gold......... So fine the static charge holds it to the sides of the vial. Give the vial a tap and it drops back in with the rest.

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

• Like 3

:biggrin: Yeah I admit I have a pretty easy life and it takes a real good reason for me to get on the end of a shovel.

If I could get at least a couple grams a day I would be a bit more motivated.....:smile:

But a couple grain.... not so much.

Keep the faith it all Adds Up !!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, thanks for the time sharing your experiences beach sluicing..  everything youve said about the beach conditions  are a mirror image of of the beaches near me.  I found gold there a few years ago, and soon bought a goldcube as it seemed to be a good choice..

Im almost complete on a 9ft x12inch add on to the cube, any advice would be appreciated.. ive added 18inch minersmoss, expanded mesh to hold it down. Ive a section of deep V matting, a section of superfine ribbed matting on the end, this is too see when gold what is slowed but not stopped starts getting through my sluice and il probably wash out the concentrate to cleanup at home at this point.

Ive also added 4 different types of magnetic sheeting with alternating north south poles creating various strength magnetic riffles.

Mike pung said, if everything is the same size, gold rules..  i want to classify more as the blacksand goes through my system to increase capture rates, so my initial classification is 3mm at the top of the goldcube.

I noticed when i slowed my goldcube waterflow to around 6-700gph it very gradually bunged up, but in doing so id caught a superfine gold dust,  what looks liquid when it flows around dried in a vial..

Im hoping the magnetic sluice ive built will catch this instead of me bunging my cube,   but i wanted to know will classifying down to say 50mesh as it enters  my magnetic sluice help capture rates?

I was also thinking of putting a double screen on the last 4ft section of my magnetic sluice to try separate again at about 150mesh  but im unsure if im overcomplicating things unnecessarily..

All ive left to order is a couple of woven mesh screens, im unsure of the best sizes too choose everything else is built, id appreciate any input, thanks

Oh, when i sieved my concentrates to size my gold,  it starts at 30mesh, the cube seems to do a good job certainly too 70-80mesh, i think if i slowed flow to where its not bunging up and kept it steady im not really losing anything at 80mesh, beyond that i think i start to incur losses, although  it still catches gold so small i can only see the specks with a jewellers loupe. I first noticed them when a jar of concentrate had a yellow band appear as it all settled, that was the gold what flows like liquid when dry

Ive attached pic of my monster nugget lol, and the 30mesh i think it is the top size gold usually shows up when sizing it down. Notice all the lead.  

Its suddenly dawned on me i can use the lead capture rates to compare to gold, it should be lost noticeable first - which it is - now ive an idea where my gold recovery starts to suffer

20171213_211033.jpg

20171202_060441.jpg

20171117_111550.jpg

• Like 1

Like the thread author said, winter scours the beaches, same event occurs seasonly here.

Dominating winds become North North-Easterlys, longshore drift is north to south.  Ideally i hope for a long series of eroding gentle tides, lapping away like edge of a goldpan pulling the blondes down the beach. Get a good foot of heavy black then, lot of pyritic and sulfide minerals rather than just magnetite. They yield better.

Just under the cliffs is a hotspot.  Waves hit the cliff, the backwash hits the oncoming wave giving a drop in pressure and deposition, the lights pulled away with the retreating wave.

Gullys and creases hold gold too, well im sure you know that.

Have you guys ever noticed a dark brown deposition though, and sluiced that? Its hot..

Sieve your magnetite out and look at what youve left, here its a dark brown pyritic and sulfide dominated refractory mixed mineral ore.  Its denser than the magnetite, sometimes most the magnetites washed out and theres this dark brown patch instead.

Ive seen this deposition at low water on numerous occasions too,  theres less spots of gold per pan, but the size is much bigger. Ill add to this post later

• Like 2