Thanks for the information I have a lot to learn. I had sent an email to SRP prior to posting here.... apparently It forwards to Dennis Katz. I spoke with him today. I'm going to work with him to design a setup that will work for me. The problem to work through is "I" don't know what I want. How wide, how long, what mat configuration etc. He is clearly very knowledgeable and I hope to have some success on the beach.  I feel like 24" wide would be a bit much as I don't think I could feed it fast enough with buckets. But again that's speaking from no experience.  

What I think I want is a highbanker that could be taken down and used as a ground sluice on the Oregon beaches. You have a nice setup there.  At what point width wise are you looking at moving from a 12V pump to gas?   

I also see that you are classifying your material while others on the beaches do not. Is there an advantage that is particular to the magnetic mat section of the sluice?

Is your setup optimized for the beach sands or does the multiple mats simply allow you to run other materials such as river mud and gravel better?

Also thanks for the videos and photos of your setup. 

6 minutes ago, AeroXray said:

Thanks for the information I have a lot to learn. I had sent an email to SRP prior to posting here.... apparently It forwards to Dennis Katz. I spoke with him today. I'm going to work with him to design a setup that will work for me. The problem to work through is "I" don't know what I want. How wide, how long, what mat configuration etc. He is clearly very knowledgeable and I hope to have some success on the beach.  I feel like 24" wide would be a bit much as I don't think I could feed it fast enough with buckets. But again that's speaking from no experience.  

What I think I want is a highbanker that could be taken down and used as a ground sluice on the Oregon beaches. You have a nice setup there.  At what point width wise are you looking at moving from a 12V pump to gas?   

I also see that you are classifying your material while others on the beaches do not. Is there an advantage that is particular to the magnetic mat section of the sluice?

Is your setup optimized for the beach sands or does the multiple mats simply allow you to run other materials such as river mud and gravel better?

Also thanks for the videos and photos of your setup. 

My sluice is 16" wide and a series of 24" long sections. If you zoom into the image of my sluice you can see the sections which are connected with angle stock.

That allows me multiple configuration options, change the length or setting it up into a high banker....... In Oregon you can't use power on the beach. 

In Washington you can.

So you have to think about how much sluice you want to pack to your location.

The 2000GPH pump seemed to do a good job for the width of my sluice and allowed a good feed rate.

The classifier I use is to keep any foreign matter from passing down through the sluice which might cause an interruption of laminar flow that might set up turbulence that could dislodge fine gold .... As I watched some of the other beach miners who did not use a classifier they were having problems with the stuff that gave me no trouble at all.

I use multiple mats because even on the beach there are multiple sizes and shapes of gold..... This just gives those odd shapes a better chance to get caught .... As to the cleangold at the end of the sluice...... Same thing, it will catch the gold that ran the gauntlet of mats and it will also catch even finer gold .... I have caught -300 mesh and smaller in the magnetic section.

Dennis can put a good system together for you that you will be able to use as a ground sluice or high banker..... He has lots of experience with beach gold in both Oregon and Washington.

By the way there is a loophole in Oregon beach mining... You can run a recirculating unit if it is setup above the extreme high tide line or in the vegetation line..... Only problem is packing water and sand to your setup.......

My arms hurt thinking about packing water to the Vegetation line...  

I read through the link you provided to the Canadian forum... appears to have been a tense product release to say the least.  Also seems to be a lot of debate around the ideal sluice width some claiming that high flow rates are necessary to get the mats to work... I don't think that would be an issue with beach gold... Most debate seems to center around Gold hog mats. I'm assuming the setup will end up something like whats in this video: {url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4J9DDNJZYY [/url]

Looks like he is running a 1900 GPH gas pump here.  

The only beach mining I do is with a small shovel! Here’s a pic.

I try to remain incognito. Lol!

6B7CDD63-7536-4DFB-8DD5-894466F9425F.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got back to Benson beach this last weekend.. worked Fri. & Sat.. a couple hours each day before my back told me to quit for the day.

I'll post some pics later.

Be this weekend before I get the cons cleaned up.... So at this point I have no idea how I did for the 2 days.

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

OK.... Got the bulk of it cleaned up.... Still have a little finish panning to do but not enough to make a big difference in the final tally.

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank's phrunt....

I sure wish I lived closer to Cape disappointment.... There is some really good gold on that beach.

There are guys up there that are pulling several grams a day ... You have to do a little testing to find the richer spots like anyplace but it can worth the effort.

I don't get up there much because it is a 5 hour drive and by the time I have done that I don't feel particularly energized to hit the beach on the same day.

Setting up you have to haul water from the ocean and when your running you have to handle the sand twice..... 1 into the sluice then 2 out of your recirculation tub.

I have been thinking of ways to improve the efficiency and certainly would if I lived closer.

I may just do that anyway because ..... Well it would make things more efficient when I do go....:biggrin:

• Like 1

I got the finish panning done and now just letting it dry so I can weigh it.... Looks like 3-4 grain which will put the total just over a gram........ Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.....:blink:

fullsizeoutput_1c2.jpeg

• Like 3

OK.... Got the final cleanup weighed...... Gave me a total of 1.108 gram.......

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Found a couple of useful pages ... One on the web and another that has a phone ap for your use in estimating scrap or natural gold values..Have fun.......:smile:

http://www.goldcalc.com

and....

http://www.coinflation.com

Or here for the iPhone ap........  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coinflation/id535653219?mt=8