Detecting With The F-19...

Hello all, I got out today with the F-19 to detect bedrock in a creek that has been producing the last few weeks. I had an issue losing the ground balance when I put the coil underwater. I don't know if it was the temperature of the water or the sheer amount of hematite that was lodged in the bedrock. Once I was over a target I did get a good response. The hematite showed up from 85 to 95 on the big screen number. The gold was right where it was suppose to be, 40 to 50 and no ferrous bars. I ended up with ten small pieces. The weight was two grams or 1.29 pennyweight for Shep... Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

post-1-0-39451200-1415568273_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-39319200-1415568275_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-85684800-1415568276_thumb.jpg

Hi Ray… your F-19 ground phase scale seems to be very similar to my F75 scale at least with respect to the upper non-conductive ferrite section where both magnetite and hematite ores normally reside. I wouldn’t expect to see much or anything on the Fe3O4 bar graph readout… hematite does not exert much magnetic susceptibility and has little effect on metal detector performance compared to magnetite. 

Jim.

Very interesting. I have no experience with this type of detecting. What was your recovery technique after you got a hit on the detector? In other words, how did you get the gold?

Hey Hawkeye, I was hunting shallow bedrock and the cracks and crevices were very small. When I got a good signal I would take my mask and just hold it on the surface with one hand while using the pocketknife with the other. A few of the pieces were wedged in pretty tight but part of the fun is getting getting them out. I hope to be hitting the same area again on Saturday. I have a better spot upstream and I might just take the mask,snorkel and squeeze bottle.The water is not cold and the air temperature is suppose to be about 107 degrees, so I should be ok. I get quite relaxed when I am finding gold in the water on a blue sky day under tropical conditions here in Northern California. It would be nice if there was a food and drink service available in between each piece of gold being dug out. I guess I am getting too lazy as I grow older...   TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS  

Ray, thanks for the reply.  I wondered how an underwater target could be recovered.  In your case it was pretty straightforward.  Indeed, it does sound fun and the food and drink service sounds good too.  Talking about lazy, I have watched videos of nugget hunters in Africa where the detector operator has a helper to dig the hole and sort through the dirt for the nugget.  That appeals to me as I age and the knees are creaking.  Good hunting.