Metal Detector Advice

12 minutes ago, Ringmoney said:

Hi Ringmoney thanks for helping me out. i had a look at that detector there advertising GPX 4500 but its a 4000 not sure why?  

35 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No need for that idaho - looks like paul is going for that 4500 so I am the one that will butt out now! :smile:

HI Steve, ive looked at the GPX models and there awesome units but i think if its going to cost me £2000 to £2500 its a bit too much for me at the moment. something to aim for though. ill certainly be keeping an eye out for one of the GPX models,nothing comes close to them. I did originally ask for something with good discrimination but the difference in depth is unbelievable. its maybes the way to go. slow and dig everything! at least i won't miss anything but thanks for you time and all your help its very much appreciated ?

• Like 1

Paul-just save up ....and get a new...gpx-4500....from a minelab official dealer...my dealer took payments for a few months....or buy that used 4500 one...and have him send me the battery I need an extra ! seriously if its a minelab original ? :tongue:the goldscreamer kit on that used 1 takes camcorder batteries and i have a Amazon web link for charger and 2 for amazon $56bux usd...its posted somewhere in this forum couple months back.Options......Definitely get a new 4500 or a new used like thats 4sale...under warranty..$2400 is a deal......the nugget finder" my mate" and early buyers of its 8 year proven history as a gold machine $Paid$4-4500.....a few folks have even gone back to it "AfterZed"......and the new ones supposedly run w newer electronics boards etc like the 5000 just 2 less timings...Makes a smoother running unit! I'f i'm not mistaken the iron discrimination only works w Double "D coils  so instead of a nugget finder mono....get ahold of nenad at phase technical and watch his yu tube vids...and "Go for" a Detech 15" .Options....theres Always more than 1 way to skin a cat! And a gpx .45 does a great job! :smile: Cheers, jd

• Like 1

PAUL  b the first in the UK w/ the QED????????

• Like 1

would anybody know what sort of depths can be achieved with say a small 20mm silver coin with the GPX 4500 on average ground. i know its a tough question to answer but im just trying to get a bit of an idea what these units can do. all the videos on YouTube are about gold and not coin hunting. so if anyone's had experience with the GPX detecting coins i would love to know before taking the plunge. thanks Paul

Hi, Paul;

I used my 2200, gp extreme and 3500 for drysand and slightly wet salt beach sand...the iron can drive you nutso...I found a buffalo nickel while gold hunting in tough ground that was much more than 12 inches...a brass button at least 16 inches...no reason why the 4500 would not do the same...plus it has several settings...

I would get a ctx before I tried a Minelab PI for coin hunting...I don't need to get any crazier...haha

fred

17 hours ago, fredmason said:

Hi, Paul;

I used my 2200, gp extreme and 3500 for drysand and slightly wet salt beach sand...the iron can drive you nutso...I found a buffalo nickel while gold hunting in tough ground that was much more than 12 inches...a brass button at least 16 inches...no reason why the 4500 would not do the same...plus it has several settings...

I would get a ctx before I tried a Minelab PI for coin hunting...I don't need to get any crazier...haha

fred

Hi Fred, Thanks for the info. Ive heard the 4500 dont discriminate very well past six inches but its to use on the fields thats bashed out. Ive got some really good permissions thats had alot of the trash took out so signals are few and far between. The problem im having now is depth, my detector is struggling to get good signals past 14''. and theres loads of iffy signals and when ive dug them they've turned out to be small Roman silvers and deep hammered silver. so there's still quite a few good finds there to be found. Thats why i thought by getting one of these machines i wouldn't miss anything if its there to be found. Ive heard the CTX units are good but do you know what sort of depths can be achieved on small silvers and gold because the Etrac which ive heard for friends is nearly on par with the CTX but struggles on the deep gold. Theres nothing wrong with them and not to upset anyone who uses these detectors there all top machines just with different strengths and weakneses thats all. Paul

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On January 31, 2017 at 10:39 AM, paul said:

would anybody know what sort of depths can be achieved with say a small 20mm silver coin with the GPX 4500 on average ground. i know its a tough question to answer but im just trying to get a bit of an idea what these units can do. all the videos on YouTube are about gold and not coin hunting. so if anyone's had experience with the GPX detecting coins i would love to know before taking the plunge. thanks Paul

On February 6, 2017 at 3:37 AM, paul said:

Hi Fred, Thanks for the info. Ive heard the 4500 dont discriminate very well past six inches but its to use on the fields thats bashed out. Ive got some really good permissions thats had alot of the trash took out so signals are few and far between. The problem im having now is depth, my detector is struggling to get good signals past 14''. and theres loads of iffy signals and when ive dug them they've turned out to be small Roman silvers and deep hammered silver. so there's still quite a few good finds there to be found. Thats why i thought by getting one of these machines i wouldn't miss anything if its there to be found. Ive heard the CTX units are good but do you know what sort of depths can be achieved on small silvers and gold because the Etrac which ive heard for friends is nearly on par with the CTX but struggles on the deep gold. Theres nothing wrong with them and not to upset anyone who uses these detectors there all top machines just with different strengths and weakneses thats all. Paul

Using GPX 4500,,,not the detector for sites loaded with iron.  In the hands of a person who knows what they are doing,,,a smaller coil might help.

As far as depth on silver coins (smaller),,,this being a high conductor,,,is not where the GPX is at its best,,,better on lower conductors when it comes to depth.

Also,,the tone arrangement,,,how it works on GPX,,,,high conductor sounds more like iron,,,,versus a lower conductor.

Nail reject on GPX 4500,,, it will help a person out,,,not foolproof,,,,full length nails with nail reject run at setting where depth is less compromised,,,you are talking around 6" depth for rejection,,or identifying as ferrous material.

Smaller bits of nails/iron,,,or larger iron,,,this 6" depth will move around.

Iron reject and GPX better where iron is more sparse.

In medium or mild ground,,,a good Vlf using AM will do more for you,,at least give better discrimination for say the first 7-8",,,, nice if you have Vlf detector that will give ID when in All Metal,,,not all Vlf detectors do this btw.

A person could use a GPX in milder ground,,,and it may prove beneficial say in a site already hunted with VLF detector,,,where ferrous material seems is limited,,,and where nonferrous targets discovered seem to be deeper.

Sorta like cheating,,,using Vlf detector to scout site.

Also should say,,using GPX vey possible to find shallower nonferrous objects,,,,where smaller/smallest iron particles will indeed confuse Vlf detector (no detection in disc),. Yet GPX will power right through and expose object tonally.

Even possible for fine size nonferrous like foil/shotgun birdshot,,,could do this to a deeper nonferrous target,,,and again GPX has a higher likelihood to power right through and detect object.

So GPX is not just about depth,,,can unmask targets too.

7 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Using GPX 4500,,,not the detector for sites loaded with iron.  In the hands of a person who knows what they are doing,,,a smaller coil might help.

As far as depth on silver coins (smaller),,,this being a high conductor,,,is not where the GPX is at its best,,,better on lower conductors when it comes to depth.

Also,,the tone arrangement,,,how it works on GPX,,,,high conductor sounds more like iron,,,,versus a lower conductor.

Nail reject on GPX 4500,,, it will help a person out,,,not foolproof,,,,full length nails with nail reject run at setting where depth is less compromised,,,you are talking around 6" depth for rejection,,or identifying as ferrous material.

Smaller bits of nails/iron,,,or larger iron,,,this 6" depth will move around.

Iron reject and GPX better where iron is more sparse.

In medium or mild ground,,,a good Vlf using AM will do more for you,,at least give better discrimination for say the first 7-8",,,, nice if you have Vlf detector that will give ID when in All Metal,,,not all Vlf detectors do this btw.

A person could use a GPX in milder ground,,,and it may prove beneficial say in a site already hunted with VLF detector,,,where ferrous material seems is limited,,,and where nonferrous targets discovered seem to be deeper.

Sorta like cheating,,,using Vlf detector to scout site.

Also should say,,using GPX vey possible to find shallower nonferrous objects,,,,where smaller/smallest iron particles will indeed confuse Vlf detector (no detection in disc),. Yet GPX will power right through and expose object tonally.

Even possible for fine size nonferrous like foil/shotgun birdshot,,,could do this to a deeper nonferrous target,,,and again GPX has a higher likelihood to power right through and detect object.

So GPX is not just about depth,,,can unmask targets too.

Thanks for the write up, thats really good info. ive looked at tonnes of videos on youtube to find out as much as i can and this has been the most helpful i really appreciate it. once again thank you for your help