Metal Detector Hmi

What kind of HMI (human/machine interface) do you like in a metal detector? Asking for... a friend.

CONTROLS-

Knobs or buttons?

One control per function or menu-based? If menu-based what kind of controls do you like to have at your fingertips?

Examples of machines that, in your mind, "got it right" when it comes to controls

AUDIO-

Do you prefer beep and dig, or do you prefer machines that have "language" (i.e. multiple tones)?

Any thoughts on Stereo Mixed Mode (like V3i - all metal in one ear, toneID in the other)?

Iron ID - prefer a threshold NULL or a GRUNT?

DISPLAY-

What kind of info is essential for you to see? (personally I don't like screens, prefer to look at my surroundings)

Thanks to any who share their thoughts on this. I know it depends on what kind of machine, but for the sake of this thread let's say it's some flavor of VLF that is geared towards prospecting.

Knobs, buttons this isn't important for me. Multitones. Better description of item. Mixed mode is my favourite mode. If Whites mades faster units like Deus with Mixed I will buy one. Iron sound with volume adjustment. LCD or without. 

• Like 1

Heads up display on my glasses, allows me to see the country and target response, ID etc  instantly. Why do we need sound??........

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Heads up display on my glasses, allows me to see the country and target response, ID etc  instantly. Why do we need sound??........

I think it is a personal preference for some. I like to detect by sound alone for the most part. Beep. Beep. Dig. But some people like a screen. With smart phones, computers, heck even new cars.... I can use one less glowing box to look at.

17 minutes ago, LukeOzDigger said:

-Multi function knobs

(Push in to select)

-beep and dig with iron grunt

(threshold based A M)

-screen or LED bar

(Basic as a screen holds me up)

#WATERPROOF

Thanks Luke, concise and helpful.

• Like 1

Multi-Function Knobs- that will not go out of adjustment if accidentally bump

Beep and dig with Iron I.D. - (Iron Grunt)

Prefer sound over display I.D. - only use display as a second opinion on what target might be.

Multi-tones would be useless for a prospecting VLF in my opinion to many variables.

• Like 3

I use a ctx3030 while beach hunting, all metal mode with anything showing up in lower right screen corner is a no dig for me. I dig everything else no matter the vdi numbers or sounds. A gold detector along the same lines and I would buy one.

That CTX screen is what I want in the heads up, rather then knobs I prefer the menu screen to set detecting settings, plus that makes it more easily waterproofed. Audio an option that can be turned off or on, heads up in the lower part of glasses lenses as per bifocal lenses. Why not we have the technology.......... Visually we have much better perception then audio surely, take away our hearing and we can still operate, take away our vision and we are stumbling in the dark.

Use that user vision capabilities detector manufacturers to enhance our detecting or keep flogging tired old tech.