Thanks jeepster. Is there a start point on angle of dry w., or does it change with the material you are running, seems like when ground changes you play with angle of box to flow niceley again. That dry mixer could save a lot of time it looks like, what a cool looking tool.
where did you get it? Rick

Hi Rick ,

I made my own , bought a cheap Chinese cement mixer new & converted it .

Best type are the ones that already have the bowl in two parts so you don't need to cut them in half .

Got some scrap perforated plate & rolled it to shape welded some bars to reinforce it then bolted it on with a 2 inch gap at the back .

Best thing is they are so easy to use & the gold can't get out of mine  ^_^ ^_^

Jack .

I really like this idea as far as the screens i can get a large variation in sizes of them anytime, truck airfilters have 2sizes of screen in them (round filters) I have a trucking co.and we go through a lot of them just throw them in a fire and they come out cleanready to cut to any dimension. I have used them for a lot of screening projects they are very durable, they act like they are stainless steel and the

Fire doesnt bother them at all. Go to any trucking co shop they would be glad togive them away im sure of that good burning barrel lids, also. Gonna build one of these for sure a guy already gave me an old mixer to start this project. Thanks jack for the great idea, my heads already spinnin!

• Like 1

Hi Rick ,

Good luck with the filters , that sure is an interesting idea '

The perforated plate I used can handle tumbling big rocks , those rocks do most of the work to release the gold then gravity takes over .

The best thing about these mixers is the return compared to using just a detector only , just take some samples first to check where the gold is concentrating then start shovelling  :D 

Have Fun

Jack .

No I havent yet, I think I saw that book before , just never picked it up yet.

its definatley been a learning experience with that big drywasher. A lot of double

Checking but gaining confidence now. Thanks steve.

RICK WATKINS. LET ME KNOW WHAT I OWE YOU

Po box 423 condon ore

Steve received book today, thank you skimmed through it looks like its got a lot of drywasher

information. I like all the history and plctures from many years back those old boys had it

figured out. Thanks again. Rick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Sourdough Scott
      I got me a Gold Buddy Drywasher a few years ago from a friend. Never used it, now I have plans to use it, and can't find the insert that holds the Drywasher cloth under the riffles. If anyone has one and can shoot me a picture of it? And or any other ideas of what cloth to use? Much appreciated. I would have put this in the gold prospecting forum, but wanted to get some exposure on here first. Steve can move it or delete it after I get some help from you guys. 

• By havingstl
      Does anyone have experience with this drywasher?  Do they work well? I cannot find anything on the internet about it.

• By Cheryl3713
      Hello, recently I've been given some of my  Uncle's things that he used while prospecting in California from the 1970's until about 1995 in the motherlode area, I only panned as a child and observed stream dregding so this is all new to me.  I received an E-Z Pickins dry vac back pack.  It's missing a few things so it needs work, but it has a manual of 27 pages in fairly decent shape.  If anyone wants a copy I'm willing to make them one cost of materials and a small processing fee for my time.  I have a copy of Dry Washing for Gold thats 81 pages if anyone is searching for that publication.  Thank you.

• By 1515Art
      Primarily my time out in the desert is spent detecting on the chance I’ll find something larger, but checking different spots for fine gold I think might help with that too so I’ve been looking for a little Drywasher I can fit in my Jeep and will be portable for sampling different spots without to much hassle. Every time out I bring home 5 gallons of dirt from promising spots except my choices haven’t been very good yet and getting rid of the dirts a hassle so I’m moving the show to on location. Coincidentally starting with their mower I’m building an inventory of the EGO 56v garden tools some with batteries some bare bones and now have 2, 2.5 amp-hrs and 1, 5 amp-hr battery all interchangeable. In the collection is the leaf blower they claim out performs equivalent gas models and it seems to be true. I’m sitting here testing it now on a low medium speed with the 5 amp-hr battery I got 90 minutes and with the other two batteries on hand I should have somewhere around 3 hrs continuous run time total. They also sell a backpack contractor battery for over a $1K I think must be around 28 amp-hrs (correction) if you need long lasting power. Couple days ago I ordered a Royal Explorer Drywasher the size was right, wasn’t to expensive and seemed what I was looking for to pair with the electric blower and then will head out for a real test although I suspect this will be perfect for what I have in mind. I’ll post a video and pictures when I get a chance and have the little dry washer in hand.

• By GB_Amateur
      Last night I read a very interesting (IMO) article by Chris Ralph in the June, 2019 issue of the ICMJ (https://www.icmj.com/) titled "How Long Does It Take to Find and Recover an Ounce of Gold".  There are a lot of caveats Chris lists, which makes it dangerous for me to summarize what was written.  Further, there is a fine line between showing results from a magazine/journal which needs money to stay afloat and requiring interested parties to simply pay for a subscription.  IMO, anyone halfway serious about searching for native gold (and there's more there than just gold) should be a subscriber.  Most importantly, his estimates certainly depend upon the ground you are covering -- this should be obvious to everyone and I hope simply mentioning it will squelch any attempt to quibble at his results. Basically there is a lot of uncertainty around Chris's numbers, which he is well aware of, but it's still interesting to hear from an expert who has used all of these methods countless times.  I was surprised at some of his estimates.  In order longest (least efficient) to shortest:
      Panning:  42 hrs,
      Metal Detecting:  40 hrs,
      Sluicing/Highbanking:  30 hrs,
      Dry Washing:  30 hrs,
      Dredging:  20 hrs,
      Hard Rock Mining:  8 hrs.
      I think it's worth emphasizing that this is a time efficiency, not a cost efficiency.  Panning is clearly the least expensive with hard rock mining by far the most.  Chris also points out that the leadup time/research/preparation & cost are vastly different -- hard rock mining being the obvious extreme.