Information on Lorenz Deepmax Z1?

I primarily do placer gold prospecting by working river gravel bars on Northern California's Klamath river and across alluvial fans here in Nevada. I have an old White's XLT Spectrum that's great for coins but is terrible for gold detecting.

Does anyone know anything about the Lorenz Deepmax Z1 from Germany? I cannot find any reviews.  This detector was recommended by a popular detector re-saler over a GPX 5000 for my sort of prospecting.  The gravel bars can often run deep and are covered with cobbles and creek run boulders.  Is it realistic to think that one might locate the pay streaks with a deep detector or is that wishful thinking?  Yes, I am shooting for larger specimens.

There are a huge variety of hot rocks where I prospect and a variety of mineralization in the desert washes.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be deeply appreciated.

An aside, there are so many cheap Chinese copies that one really dare not buy a used GPX 5000.  One cannot tell the fake from the real article over the internet.  Chances are, many people who own a knock-off might not even know with certainty whether it is real Swiss cheese or Chinese.

I know nothing about the Lorenz to be able to make a recommendation, but as far as buying a used GPX5000, make arrangement for you and the seller to go to an authorized dealer, they should be able to confirm or denied if it's genuine or not, Minelab has gone too great lengths to make it possible for a dealer to make that determination.

Minelab has posted some very useful info on their website to help determine if a Minelab GPX series detector is fake or real, but taking it to a dealer is highly recommended.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/where-to-buy/counterfeit-update

As far as finding deep gold in a gravel bar, I don't think you will find any detector that will do that.

Best bet is finding one that will detect the black sands.   As far as that goes, a common gold pan will do that.  It's called testing, testing, testing.

Hi, Jim;

I think you could safely purchase a used 5000 from some on this forum or the other major forums; Bill Southern's, Rob Allison's or Chris Gohlson's.

You can get references and verify the purchase-if it was made from one one these stores...

Also Chris Porter has some experience with those Blanket detectors (don't know the name)...Chris is the inventor of the HipStick...

The blanket detectors go deep and I think might serve your purpose.

good luck

fred

• Like 1

"Is it realistic to think that one might locate the pay streaks with a deep detector or is that wishful thinking?"

Wishful thinking. If such a device existed all commercial placer miners would employ them. The closest you can get for locating pay streaks is a magnetometer and they are very limited at best. Drilling for deep stuff or an excavator (or hand dug) holes for shallow stuff is still the method of choice.

Used detectors can be purchased directly from reputable dealers. Rob Allison had a used GPX 5000 for sale for just $3500 with one year of remaining warranty recently that may still be available. http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/10874-used-gpx-5000-1-year-warranty-left-350000/ that is less than the cost of a new SDC 2300.

• Like 2

I know nothing about that detector, but rivers are tough to detect, you will be finding loads of fishing trash, AKA lead weights

I want to thank all of you for your responses and your candor.  Yesssssss, I'm just another idiot who's trying to find an easier way to locate the pay streak.

I had no idea about the ability to purchase a used GPX5000 from reputable dealers.

Fred, I'd like to know more about the Hip Stick and other means of deeper detecting.

Anyone hear of a used 5000  -  please give me a shout.

Again, thanks for the good advice.

Kindest Regards,

Jim Mitchell

DVDs4Less.net ®

Cheap DVD-CD-USB Duplication Service

Serving the USA from Reno, NV

TOLL FREE:  (800) 852-2330

EMAIL:  jim@dvds4less.net

Hi, Jim;

I think you could safely purchase a used 5000 from some on this forum or the other major forums; Bill Southern's, Rob Allison's or Chris Gohlson's.

You can get references and verify the purchase-if it was made from one one these stores...

Also Chris Porter has some experience with those Blanket detectors (don't know the name)...Chris is the inventor of the HipStick...

The blanket detectors go deep and I think might serve your purpose.

good luck

fred

Fred, thank you for the advice.

How would I reach Chris Porter to find out about his experience with deep detectors?

Fred, do you have links to some of the folks you mention who sell or can reference a used GPX5000?

Kindest Regards,

Jim Mitchell

DVDs4Less.net ®

Cheap DVD-CD-USB Duplication Service

Serving the USA from Reno, NV

TOLL FREE:  (800) 852-2330

EMAIL:  jim@dvds4less.net