19" Zed Finds A Meteorite And A Little Nugget

Nice work.

There was big deep gold out there found in the past. I ran a backhoe out there and it's still out there, deeper than the GPX (and Z14) could hear if you know where to look. It's very scattered though...

Q has deeper on average and a lot more big gold by sheer numbers, but GB produced a lot of larger specimen type stuff, actually very similar to the big one you found in another field. Both have gold not uncommonly past the 3ft+ mark, so perfect places to test that Z19! Keep us updated. 

There are people lurking here who know more than I do and were in both places in the 80's and 90's, but they rarely or never post, hi. :biggrin:

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with settings. That's some of the mildest ground in the US in Q and GB. It's a bit noisy from Vegas is about the only problem.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jasong said:

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with settings. That's some of the mildest ground in the US in Q and GB. It's a bit noisy from Vegas is about the only problem.

I'll have to admit, I did push (12) the settings a bit for the shallow meteorites.  I was concerned that the 19 would ignore smalls as a hot rock so I stepped up the sensitivity.  It was still stable enough to hunt but we were in an area where most of them had been found so my count didn't go up.  Two others that were hunting with me didn't find any before we moved on to explore.

I went to the Hoppy GPAA claims (good in the past I understand) for the first and last time.  There were no old dig holes in the pavement.  I have been on much better areas of Gold Basin for meteorites.

The gold nugget area was mostly mild but there were a few screamer hot rocks which is not always a bad thing.  I've taken quite a few similar nuggets off that area and I was not the first.