If money really was not a concern you could have all three...the only reason to justify is when you have to account for the cost-vrs-return.

Toys are not subject to economic considerations...otherwise most people would not have expensive boats, gold clubs, guns or Metal Detectors...

fred

And that is right point of view. Headshot ;)

I think your question has been addressed as far as possible on a forum. Chris has indicated that there are highly mineralized / hotrock areas where this unit will improve small gold detection over a VLF unit in such conditions. 

The X-Terra’s versatility, comparably lighter weight, and lower price are secondary considerations if it doesn’t get the job done to your satisfaction. By comparison, the SDC 2300 is more a niche instrument… but it is designed to deal with higher mineralization / hotrocks while improving the detection of small gold, character gold, and gold specie compared to other PI units currently on the market.

In addition to the comments above, I suggest you contact a reputable dealer such as either Rob Allison’s Detectors at 623.362.1459 (office) 602.909.9008 (cell) or Arizona Outback at 1-928-777-0267.  Discuss your concerns and see if you can get a side-by-side demonstration of these units over some planted targets at one their instruction outings. This ought to help you decide whether or not the SDC 2300 looks like a worthwhile acquisition for what you are doing.

Jim.

Chris,

It meant "I understand you" as in "I got your meaning". In rereading it, I see that it might be taken in a different light than intended. Sorry.

Makes all the sense in the world though. Just because money is not my main and final deciding factor, does not mean that it doesn't play a role in my decision making. I could spend $80,000 on a Land Rover Defender 110, but my County Classic and Discovery will take me everywhere the 110 would at 1/10 the price (and I don't worry about getting desert pinstripes). Most of the places I hunt have either never seen a human, or the last people there weren't using electronics to look for gold/silver. That means that I am not detecting beat up patches like Rich Hill or one of the many well known GPAA/LDMA Claims. If I were trying to squeeze stuff out of places that have been well detected before, I would have a GPX5000, because that would be necessary to get what is left in those places (IMHO). As it is, I have a modded SD2000, and a factory SD2000 (backup). They do well at getting gold at depth. Am I missing gold? Probably, but nobody I know has gone behind me and gotten anything significant. If someone had gone over my tracks with a GPX and dug anything that I would have been embarrassed to miss, bet your a** I would have to upgrade. :)  

Shelton,

The ATX is an option. I just don't have a lot of experience with Garrett products. I am waiting to see some more long term owner reviews. 

Fredmason,

Maybe to you, detectors are toys. To me they are simply tools that help me make money. I don't coin shoot, and I don't relic hunt. I mostly chase down old Spanish/Mexican Mines in the desert and mountains. My main tools are my eyes, a gold pan, a rock pick, and a selection of metal detectors. 

Klunker,

The "But Minelab Says..." was a joke. I know what they put on their website, but I also know the difference between advertising hype and the truth. I know that the SDC will outperform the XTerra (especially in highly mineralized ground). I understand PI and VLF, and the advantages PI has. 

Again, my simple question:

Its a given that the SDC will outperform the XTerra. So lets plant some different items (flakes, pickers, nuggets, specimens) at the limit of the SDC in mineralized ground. How many of those will the XTerra see? If the difference is that great, then I will jump on the SDC. Forget all the extraneous info (how often do I detect, where do I detect, budget, etc). Lets just look at the SDC in the MOST favorable conditions for it, then see how much better it is than the XTerra. If it is THAT much better, then so be it! I'm in!

Mike

I think your question has been addressed as far as possible on a forum. Chris has indicated that there are highly mineralized / hotrock areas where this unit will improve small gold detection over a VLF unit in such conditions. 

The X-Terra’s versatility, comparably lighter weight, and lower price are secondary considerations if it doesn’t get the job done to your satisfaction. By comparison, the SDC 2300 is more a niche instrument… but it is designed to deal with higher mineralization / hotrocks while improving the detection of small gold, character gold, and gold specie compared to other PI units currently on the market.

In addition to the comments above, I suggest you contact a reputable dealer such as either Rob Allison’s Detectors at 623.362.1459 (office) 602.909.9008 (cell) or Arizona Outback at 1-928-777-0267.  Discuss your concerns and see if you can get a side-by-side demonstration of these units over some planted targets at one their instruction outings. This ought to help you decide whether or not the SDC 2300 looks like a worthwhile acquisition for what you are doing.

Jim.

Thanks Jim H,

A buddy of mine is a Minelab Dealer. Bought my original SD2000 and Excal from him in 1997. 

The reason I posed the question on a forum in the first place was just to see if anybody had actually worked with both (either side by side or individually), and was willing to come out and say either "Spend the extra money, its waaaaaay better!" or "Save your money. Its better but not that much better."

Thanks - Mike

Mike… I understand that you would prefer more definitive information, but it’s still early yet to expect to see much on the forums. How much credibility you can attach to the information your see and read on forums is questionable. Any depth / sensitivity tests would necessarily have to be done over highly mineralized ground to provide meaningful indications. 

I believe you will personally have to look into this as suggested above, whether through a buddy or a dealer, to ensure testing is conducted in a suitable manner, such that you can get a reasonable indication to the extent that the SDC 2300 might improve your field resutls. When contemplating spending several thousands of dollars for a detector, it is certainly worth the effort to ensure you are comfortable with the transaction. Good luck with your decision-making Mike…

Jim.

There are a few people that have been around the forums for a long time, and I trust their opinions (ChrisR, SteveH, Eric Foster, Carl Moreland, and the like). I mostly post on TNet and Geotech. I peek in on Finds and several Aussie Prospecting Forums. Been a member of minelabmods.com for a long time as well, and correspond with Ismael from time to time. Since Minelabs are so much more expensive in OzLand, they usually have a good take on things.

Thanks - Mike

Hey, Mike...I meant no offense by my comments. Most of the people I know that hunt gold are not in the game for the money.

I know I would starve if I had to eat what I kill (so to speak).

I also know that many people that think they are making money are likely not really accounting for all the cost and what their time is worth-at least minimum wage.

This is not to say that you and others are not making money hunting gold, etc...I say wonderful and congratulations; I know it is well earned!

So, while I do get much of my money back I certainly don't make any, hence, these are just toys...with a slim chance of hitting the big one some day.

fred

For what it's worth I think a "real life" test on the detectors in question would be to take both into the field and when one hits a on target, check the hit with the other detector before digging the target, you will never get a real life test of a real gold field in a test garden, in a gold field all targets will have a halo of mineralization around it which has the be factored in to a real test of what a detector can do or not do, there is no way to recreate this halo in a test garden, an object/target has to have been in the ground for many, many years for the halo to be there.IMHO

The only exception I think would be in tailing piles, and maybe placer gold in a stream.

Hi Gold Seeker… I suggested planting some nuggets because of the practical convenience. What you suggest would be ideal, but might not be so convenient during an outing to locate some naturally occurring nuggets of a size and depth that challenge the deepseeking capabilities of both detectors.

I agree with you that best detection depths can be had over undisturbed ground targets, and this is generally acknowledged in the hobby and by manufacturers.  But that does not prevent us from conducting valid and expedient side-by-side relative detection depth comparisons over disturbed ground targets. Detection depths are reduced to some extent and we know it, but that condition exists for both detectors being tested. Regardless, at a given depth, either a unit will detect a target or it won’t detect it. 

I doubt anyone would disagree that goldfield conditions cannot be duplicated in a test plot. It is also true that nugget detection depth in prospecting country is subject to many factors that differ from one target to the next and from one area to another. Metal detecting variables such as soil type and structure, iron mineral magnetic susceptibilities, moisture content, target profile to the coil, nugget size, shape, structure, amount and type of impurities… all impact a detector’s ultimate “real life” detection depth for any specific nugget. And that’s aside from detector settings, coil type and size, and operator proficiency. In any case, I think it is generally accepted in the hobby that how a detector performs in one area may vary from what can be expected at a different location.

You emphasize the importance of gold nugget halo formation and doubtless such exists in some soils as a result of whatever is alloyed with the gold leaching into the adjacent soil matrix. But aside from rusted iron halos (a form of maghemite that enhances those signals) there is no evidence to suggest that molecular deposition of non-ferrous metals into the surrounding soil is sufficient to support eddy currents at a strength required to return a detectable signal. There is a potential for non-ferrous residues to chemically interact with a soil’s iron constituents that could, if anything, possibly enhance a target signal… a highly variable process in different soil conditions that similarly seems unlikely to be a significant factor. Even in a tightly controlled benchtest it is difficult enough to acquire any signal from barely visible non-ferrous particulates, let alone from a source at the molecular level. 

Other explanations regarding disturbed ground target depth reductions vs undisturbed ground targets are at least as credible as the halo theory. These include the disruption to both a soil’s conductive structure  (electrical continuity) and to the natural magnetic fraction of a soil. At present however, we are left to guess at which of these alternative explanations lies closest to actual fact.

Jim.

Fred,

No offense taken. I guess that if it boiled down to a legal description, it would technically be a hobby for me as well. I have a normal job that allows me to get what equipment I need to do what I want. It has paid off pretty well for me from time to time though, and I have been fortunate enough to have met several people whose great great grandchildren will never have to work because of finds made. That's what keeps me going this during the long stretches that I work sites before making any decent finds. Depending on the site, I have a lot of research that has to be done: mining claim history, mineralogy, geology. All that helps to pinpoint (as much as possible) the portion of a mountain range that is most likely to contain the old mine/ledge/etc I am trying to locate. Then sometimes I spend several days a month for a few years wearing out boot leather. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. But all that said, I still look at this as more of a business than a hobby. My definition of what I do is basically: If there was not a reasonable chance of making a lot of money doing what I do, I would not be doing it. 

GS,

In theory I agree with you 100%, but in practice I think an in-situ test would have to be done in a good producing patch so as to have a large number of hits to test on. I think a nice patch can be man made by placing pieces at different angles and under varying depths of rock, littering the patch with hot rocks, etc.

Thanks - Mike