Inland Jewelry Hunting Tips

19 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

Foreverteachable,

I'm trying to figure out how best to answer the pull tab vs gold question.   I don't dig many pull tabs myself so its a tough question.  Not much gold in the pull tab range until you get up into square tabs.  

Maybe someone who digs a lot of pull tabs can answer the question.

HH
Mike

Thanks Mike for replying on this. I checked my gold wedding band on my Fisher F 22 and it did hit above pull tabs but I was digging everything as not to lose smaller gold. I am a cellar hole hunter so I dig every good signal in jewelry mode but I suppose I have may to change what numbers I dig. I have found some rings by digging everything at old home sites as seen in the left middle of the pic but I have less detecting time now and want to optimize it.Thanks for reminding me to check what #s gold comes up as most often.

IMG_20180214_193853_311.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, I will take a stab at it. I surmise Mike has to deal more with foil than tabs? Basically when talking gold and aluminum it is all about size. The larger the aluminum and gold, the higher the target id. Yes, I am simplifying.

Smaller jewelry including womens rings tend to fall in the foil range below a U.S. nickel.

Larger jewelry like men’s rings tend to fall in the tab area above U.S. nickel.

Other than that however in my opinion it’s just something you go try and see what happens. You have to target areas where hands are in motion. You can’t find jewelry unless it’s being lost. Beyond that however there are a host of unpredictable factors, number one these days being the competition. A theoretically great spot may get hunted a lot and so is not good. Some poor locations are actually good because nobody hunts them! The local demographic matters to a huge extent. Probably lots more gold chains lost in Miami than Kansas City for instance. Some places are super trashy. Some places people use trash cans! 

Put it all together and it is pretty much impossible to put numbers or odds to any of it. I have gone cold to a park and put a ring in my pocket in minutes. Or I can go for long spells digging just aluminum and junk jewelry.

Honestly all you can do is give it a good go and see how it works out for you. I find a couple hours of digging aluminum relaxing so no worries. The same couple hours digging aluminum might irritate somebody else. Personality type plays into it a lot, as does a little luck. I hope yours is good luck! :smile:

Target ID / VDI Numbers For Goldp Nuggets And Gold Jewelry

Great books to help you out from Clive Clynick at http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/

DFX Gold Methods in particular is a classic. Don’t let the DFX part throw you. The methods described apply to most any detector.

Slide2.JPG

23 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

Foreverteachable,

I'm trying to figure out how best to answer the pull tab vs gold question.   I don't dig many pull tabs myself so its a tough question.  Not much gold in the pull tab range until you get up into square tabs.  

Maybe someone who digs a lot of pull tabs can answer the question.

HH
Mike

Thanks so much Steve for the info and reading suggestions. I have the gold bug ? These books look like they will get me on my way to finding more. I actually had a DFX so I will be able to relate to that book as well. Have a great weekend!

I have a friend down in Lake Charles "Tinfoil" has the DFX book and he states it is a winner by far.  He is strictly a jewelry hunter  and has stated many times the book is right on.  Looks like I might need to get a copy and read for my self.

• Like 2