Why I Need The SDC 2300

Condor

I've been following not only Steve and Chris's reports, but the Aussie links as well regarding the SDC 2300. My detecting is mostly in the deserts of Southern CA and AZ. I never upgraded my GPX 4000 and since the Moore Creek and Ganes Creek closure, I was in no particular hurry to upgrade. I have hit my usual areas with the 4000 with the 16" NF coil pretty regular. I found 4 nuggets over 1/4 oz, and a few dozen in the .5 to 3 gram size. The bigger nuggets were not more than 10 inches deep. Last year I took the GoldBug to some of the hillside areas where the 4000 had produced a few nuggets. I found many, many small pieces that had not traveled far from their source, just tiny surface outcrops.

The problem as GoldBug users know is that because of its sensitivity, it's not much of a prospecting machine for trying to cover a lot of area in mineralized ground. Its great for cleaning up an area, but really requires a low and slow sweep over mineralized ground. In some of the red clay and hot rock areas, nearly impossible to use.

I enjoy prospecting and enjoy it that much more if I'm finding stuff. I've never been convinced that this passion is anything more than a hobby. I don't expect to get rich or break even for that matter. I need the challenge and don't ever want to get comfortable with the idea that TV is a great retirement pastime.

From what I'm reading, the 2300 handles mineralized ground really well, and is nearly as sensitive as a good VLF. To me, it seems like some of my old areas are wide open for new exploration and I'll be motivated to search some new areas. Add the benefit of hiking and not sitting on my arse, its like a gym membership with fresh clean air.

To be sure, buying a $4000 machine to find tiddlers makes very little economic sense, but I'm not in it for the economics. I'm in it for the joy of being outside, the sound of that mellow positive beep and the ever so elusive possibilities.

When the desert cools off, I'm on that new 2300 like a turkey on a junebug. In the meantime, I'm enjoying everyone's reports.

• Like 1

"I enjoy prospecting and enjoy it that much more if I'm finding stuff.  I've never been convinced that this passion is anything more than a hobby.  I don't expect to get rich or break even for that matter.  I need the challenge and don't ever want to get comfortable with the idea that TV is a great retirement pastime.

Add the benefit of hiking and not sitting on my arse, its like a gym membership with fresh clean air. 

To be sure, buying a $4000 machine to find tiddlers makes very little economic sense, but I'm not in it for the economics.  I'm in it for the joy of being outside, the sound of that mellow positive beep and the ever so elusive possibilities." 

A sensible overview… your views  reflect my own about the hobby. If I couldn't get away for my yearly extended autumn prospecting trip to northern Ontario, I can't imagine what I'd do. For me, this hobby has never had the least thing to do with economics, at least in the sense that I've never sold any gold or silver finds in an attempt to recover costs.  My interest is entirely about enjoying life as I see fit. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts. 

Jim.

Hey Condor

Like a friend says if I want it I don't need a reason. In his case it's a gun. I can sit and watch TV when I can't do noting else. I'm one that hunted all these years and never was thinking about getting rich. I started prospecting back in 62 along the 49s trail when in the Air Force. Right now I guess you could say I'm short on gold detectors being I've just got four.

When you get the SDC 2300 I hope your happy with it. Finding a little color of any size will help close up the hole in your pocket made by your new detector.

Keep us posted on how it's going when you get your SDC.

Chuck

The SDC 2300 has actually surprised me in that I am finding it to have somehow turned into my favorite prospecting machine. If I have to head cold into a new area and have to take one detector, it is now the one I will grab. I know it will handle most any mineralization better than a VLF and hit small gold as well as most VLF detectors. And as much as we all want to find those huge nuggets down deep the fact is it is the smaller stuff that makes up the vast majority of the finds and ultimately the weight. The bread and butter little nuggets add up. What has really sold me though is the extremely compact design.

Here is my nearly complete SDC 2300 day trip kit. It is housed in an old plain looking rucksack I have owned forever. Nothing special to attract attention - I could be just anybody out for a hike. Inside is everything I need for a long day with only the amount of water changing depending on the heat. Total weight as pictured is only 18 pounds.

post-1-0-98030400-1408033709_thumb.jpg

There is the SDC 2300 with headphones (headphones can be left behind in many cases but do extend battery life). Two sets of spare batteries which along with set in detector give 20 plus hours detecting time. Small pick with magnet. Trash pouch with scoop. Gloves. Small emergency kit and phone/GPS not pictured.

I have a bit larger pack that allows for a bivvy bag, rations, and more water for 2-3 day trips. I really like hiking and I really like detecting and the SDC is perfect for combining both. That's why I need the SDC 2300!

post-1-0-34120700-1408033742_thumb.jpg

More Information and Specifications on the Minelab SDC 2300