Current Gold Dredging Permits For Alaska

I was recently emailed this question:

"I read some info from your journal and found your story to be very similar to what I was planning to do as far as prospecting in Alaska. I noticed you mentioned spending months getting a permit but when I checked the Alaska DNR site they stated I don’t need a permit for suction dredging of 6” or less. Can you clarify if I do need a permit if I plan to use a suction dredge or high bank dredge with less than 6” suction for this relatively small scale operation."

The time to get permits depend on the scale of the operation. Mining a claim takes more permits than simply prospecting with a dredge. Same equipment maybe but different permit processes.

The main problem is there are many agencies involved. DNR may not require a permit, but BLM may want one, or the Forest Service, or Fish & Game, etc. You need to decide in advance where you will be dredging for the season, then contact the appropriate agencies to find out if a permit is required. For instance from http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/mine_fs/suctiond.pdf

STATE LAND: The use of a suction dredge, with an intake line of six (6) inches or less, powered by a motor of 18HP or less, and which is used without mechanized support equipment, is classified as a recreational activity and would not require a permit from the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land & Water (DMLW).

FEDERAL LAND: Before using a suction dredge of any intake size on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) managed federal lands, the suction dredge operator must contact the local BLM Field Office to determine if suction dredging can be authorized for the desired location, and if so, how to apply for authorization.

So yes, there is no DNR permits needed for state land. That just leaves every other agency mentioned on the fact sheet to be checked with. The bottom line is I can’t answer your question because I do not know where you will be mining, etc. and I do not keep up with the latest changes. You need a plan, and you need to contact the appropriate agencies. I wish there was an easy answer but unfortunately it does not work that way.

Here is a good place to start http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=uselicense.dredge 

God I hate red tape and bureaucrats......:angry:

Almost every area, but not all, that I dredged in Alaska required a habitat permit.  The permit is basically a registration and covers a geographic area.  It is because of fish spawning, mostly salmon.  A few years ago offices only had permits for their area but in the last couple of years Anchorage had all of the permits I needed.  That is the link that Steve posted.