GPZ 19 Inch Coil Signal Response

G.B.

Here is a video of the Signal Response of the GPZ 19 Coil.
I have also tested the 14 on this patch but didn't get round to videoing that test session but when l get time l will do a follow-up vid. But l can honestly say the 19 smashed the 14 for signal response

I'm afraid l probably had the audio about 2 units too high as l wasn't sure how well the gopro would pick the sound up.

Settings used were JP recomended settings with a few minor adjustments to suit the conditions.

Cheers

• Like 4

A lot of those noises I would have disregarded as ground noise. I can think of a few I passed over yesterday that were just one-way signals.

It's tough to hunt in Arizona battling the terrain, rocks and grass with that huge 19" coil. It's not a flat, sterile test bed like the video above. I detect in a lot of old workings with sloped sides, rock piles, trees etc. and it's hard to not just listen for the obvious signals that jump out and only dig those.

I've only been out twice with the new coil but I can't say I've even been digging much trash the 14" coil missed. It's a quieter coil but it's a beast to swing. I can move around and maneuver the 14" coil better and get it under rocks and trees better and because of it's smaller size it seems "hotter" to me on targets.

I just have to decide if sucking the fun outta detecting and swinging the huge 19" coil is worth a few inches I may have gained in depth over the stock coil. The jury is still out. I've been back to 2-3 old patches with it already and haven't recovered any "big deep ones" yet although I'm fully aware of how truly rare that phenomenon is.

Tortuga;

I don't have a 19 inch, YET.  I don't like the open web design, ever!  However, I can't help thinking just a little more depth, a little more ground covered and a pot full of luck will bring me a real thumper...

But, I have not dug any big, deep ones with the 14 inch yet...it may be the dream is better than the cost reality. Or arm/wrist strain and disappointment.

torn between

fred

Hi G.B.

Thank you for doing these very informative mode comparison tests. The wireless microphone audio was a little weak and hard to follow at times; for clarity I have summarized my understanding of your tests as follows:

Each test run was on the following targets in sequence that have been buried for more than six years:
1. a 22 bullet at 6”
2. a 22 bullet at 8”
3. a 22 bullet at 9”
4. a 22 bullet at 12”
5. a ½ oz piece of lead at 12”  Do you know the shape and size?
6. a ½ oz piece of lead at 14”
7. a ½ oz piece of lead at 18”
8. a 10 oz piece of lead at 27”  Do you know the shape and size?

JP’s usual conservative settings were used which are.....
•    Threshold: 27
•    Audio Smoothing: OFF
•    Volume: 8 (I use the B&Z booster through twin speakers)
•    Volume Limit: 8 to 10
•    Ground Balance: Tracking
•    Gold Type Mode: General for solid heavy nuggets over 10 grams, High Yield for rough gold or solid nuggets 15 grams and down
•    Ground Type Mode: Difficult, because the ground here is nasty
•    Threshold Pitch: 60
•    Ferrite Balance: Perfect at all times (regularly check it)

First test run starts at 2+ minutes into the video; High Yield Gold Mode, Difficult Ground Mode

Second test run starts at 6 minutes into the video; General Gold Mode, Difficult Ground Mode

Third test run starts at 8 minutes 45 seconds; Deep Gold Mode, Difficult Ground Mode

Fourth test run starts at 12 minutes; High Yield Gold Mode, Normal Ground Mode

Fifth test run starts at 15 minutes 35 seconds; General Gold Mode, Normal Ground Mode

Sixth test run starts at 18 minutes; Deep Gold Mode, Normal Ground Mode

Do you have any information on shape of the large lead pieces?
I look forward to your video of the GPZ 14 coil responses.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fredmason said:

Tortuga;

I don't have a 19 inch, YET.  I don't like the open web design, ever!  However, I can't help thinking just a little more depth, a little more ground covered and a pot full of luck will bring me a real thumper...

But, I have not dug any big, deep ones with the 14 inch yet...it may be the dream is better than the cost reality. Or arm/wrist strain and disappointment.

torn between

fred

The one nice thing is you do cover more ground easier. It feels like you're sweeping around a trash can lid on the end of your stick but that's nothing new to guys who have experience with larger coils.

I've dug one big specimen that was almost two feet deep and under a buried boulder with my 14" coil. Besides that the deepest targets have been solid slugs around 18 inches deep. That's nothing for the GPZ and they were all fairly easy to hear. Just nice mellow tones missed by others because I'm sure they'd have been heard by a GPX as well. I tend to 'think outside the box' a little when I detect and bushwhack under trees and brush and sometimes it pays off.

• Like 1

Chet.

Thanks for that.

I'm not 100% sure on the size/shape of the nuggets as l haven't seen them but l have been led to believe they are solid chunky bits.

I had a few issues with the video that day and when l uploaded to youtube l wasn't happy with the vid so didn't make it public and was going to go back and do it again using both coils. I was mucking around with the youtube settings the other night and must have unrestricted it by mistake so when l realised it was public and had a few views l thought l may as well leave it up there until l do the other vid.

It's a fact that every target you detect gives a different signal response which the detector reacts differently to. The next target you hear could react differently again to swing speed. 

That is why l investigate all responses of the detector until satisfied.

There are numerous nuggets l have dug that have only faintly signaled on one sweep direction. I actually think that this is where the Zed shines as when cross checked with a GPX those signals couldn't be heard until a bit of ground had been taken off.  

There would not be one detectorist out there who has not walked away from a nugget after dismissing it as ground noise trouble is 98% of us will never know we did the other 2% were unlucky enough to witness someone else dig the signal they dismissed. I found this out by experience several times which is part of the learning curve.

• Like 4

I rarely ever find nuggets that are reverse signals. They're always seem to be iron rubbish. 

High low high signals that sing on my GPZ in a clear, high tone almost always turn out out be gold. 

I dug a loud chattery 2.5 gram nugget that was on the surface once that warbled like a .22 shell so you gotta be careful. I've also found deep nuggets with the famous GPZ threshold static sound that doesn't sound like a metal target but it's enough of a repeatable, interesting break in your threshold to make you pause and do a boot scrape. 

• Like 2