Headphone Adapter for Minelab SDC 2300

Condor

As I understand it, the headphone jack is unique to this detector and is not compatible with your favorite aftermarket dry land headphones.  Is there a solution, headphone jack conversion for standard 1/4" jack headphones?

OK, the adapter is available from Nenad Lonic at Phase Technical for US$95 plus postage. He says:

Please email me: nenad@phasetechnical.com.au with your postal address, and preferred payment method: Paypal, Bank deposit or Money Order.

I have one coming and will report as soon as I get it and use it with various headphones. I an anxious to be able to use headphones with independent volume controls (I am a bit deaf in my right ear) and also light headphones for hot weather. It is possible some headphones will not be wired properly to cause the SDC to disengage the speaker when the headphones are plugged in so the more headphones that can be tested the better. Since the SDC has no volume control I am looking for the headphone that will crank out the most volume but then be set as desired with volume controls.

Nenad until recently worked directly as a product tester for Minelab. He is the guy you see in the original Minelab SDC 2300 product introduction video at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/233-minelab-sdc-2300-video-on-youtube/ He is now self employed like yours truly going by the business name Phase Technical.

The adapter is designed for use with dry land headphones. You have to use Minelabs waterproof phones if you want to stick your head underwater. What waterproof headphones use a 1/4" jack? All I know of are hard wired or specialty plugs, like mine for my ATX.

It is annoying that Minelab did not use the same adapter for the SDC as is used on the CTX 3030. I have waterproof phones for my CTX but they will not work on my SDC.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Steve,

Have you tried the Aussie headphone adapter yet?  I ordered one last week after I buggered my headphone cord.  I was repacking my gear for an overnight trip when I caught the cord and pulled the tiny black headphone wire out of the socket.  Tried to do a home repair and failed so I'm grounded until the adapter arrives.  I wonder if Minelab with replace the headphones after I F'd with them for a DIY repair?

Contact Minelab immediately as I do believe they replace your headphones. After all, your detector is less than two weeks old!

Got my adapter and it works perfectly. An external speaker alone will not work with it but will if a booster is used. I have JPs B&Z booster (thanks JP!) and it puts the missing link in the system - a volume control.

I have Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, the version wired to work with the CTX, and they sound great on the SDC even without the booster and now I can balance the volume for my deaf right ear. My cheapie White's headphones also work well. I still have more to try but have not got around to it yet.

I am most anxious to try the SDC with booster on sensitivity "2" to see if I can get better response on faint targets while still maintaining the smooth threshold. I may take the day tomorrow for a beach hunt just to experiment and will report back.

Bottom line is the adapt is great and for the price of the SDC should be included. If Minelab will not do it smart dealers should bundle it with the detector.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

"Bottom line is the adapter is great and for the price of the SDC should be included. If Minelab will not do it smart dealers should bundle it with the detector."

That is for sure, Steve!  Little by little some of the wrinkles are being straightened out, thanks to people who want the machine to succeed, and have some skills and knowledge to make it happen.

I am surprised some dealers aren't ordering some of  those headphone adapters.  I believe that for those who would make them over here, the availability of that special connector on the SDC 2300  is the sticky part.  I would buy one, as I used the detector briefly in the past week in the mountains north of my home, but felt that the headphone cable was problematic, and spoiled the brief time I had to try out the machine in the field.  I may heat my curly cord on the headphone cable, as been suggested, with a hair drying gun, to see if the curls will relax enough, to make the cable at least somewhat longer.

Again, thanks for your comments!

Gary/Largo

• 1 month later...

I suppose if you own the SDC 2300 the adapter is a must if you want to use your favorite 1/4" plug headphones. Yet the price of the adapter is really overpriced if you just consider the material used, but having said that the SDC is water proof and the adapter could easily been made water proof out to the 1/4" female adapter with a rubber boot that rolls over onto the 1/4" male plug to seal this connection provided that the connector is sealed at the MD connection and using water proof phones.

The Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones is a great choice, but they are not water proof. They have a mode selector switch (polarity switch I would call it) so that they can be used on virtually any MD. The separate volume controls for left and right have multi position click adjustments for those that do not hear everything perfectly balance and you want to keep the settings secured. Very comfortable headphone to wear due to their soft leather muffs. The manufacture says the foam/leather covered muffs yields a 26 decibel reduction in ambient noise from the outside world. I own a pair and I can say they do block the outside noise and very comfortable to wear especially out here in Arizona in the heat where perspiration is a problem.

http://www.sunraydetector.com/sun_ray_pro__headphones.htm