Two Stolen Gpzs In Yuma

Condor

On 1/28/2017 at 10:51 PM, vanursepaul said:

How about an on demand gps tracker that can be activated by your personal code from the internet.

They have the small gps trackers for bikes, its like the size of a coin, its called the Trakr Bravo, but you need to be in the city for it to work affective, but I bet if you had one in the machine, you could have tracked it by now... but like myself Im lazy, and would not do it, or forget to change/ charge the battery...

Dave

Hi Paul and Condor, just catching up. This is devastating. So sorry to hear about the theft and Paul, the insurance issues can be salt in the wound. I am not sure where you are now, but I live in La Quinta, CA, I am two hours from Quartzsite, AZ and two and a half hours from Yuma. If you want to borrow my GPZ please let me know, and I can meet you half way.

Dave,

I had an xy tracker on my keys which they didn't leave...probably threw them out.... I couldn't get in range of them when I tried gridding the area where I found the truck

The Bluetooth crowd tracking idea is ok But there needed to be a lot more people that own them than there are now for it to work.... They have to walk right by someone who happens to have their Bluetooth on....I never leave my bt on...

Gps on demand..stuck way inside the case...that's what I want...

Along with Steves FrankenAtx...lol

• Like 1

That would be a good way forward, if I understand you right Nvhris, that would require a user password input each time machine is started,?????????????bit of a nuisance but a good option, would take them off the thieves market pronto you`d reckon.

Not being flippant here, but lock code is much less complicated

than trying to find a stolen detector. It should not be that hard to implement.

Why don't we ask Minelab?

No I think it is a bloody good idea, perhaps if JP reads this thread he might consider passing this by ML. If they cannot be unlocked except by the owner they have nix value to thieves.

• Like 1

Is there any way to know when a stolen device (any device) does a login with the GPS?  It would be unique to that device and if ML knew it was stolen then they could 'unlock' the block so that the location of the GPS signal could be reported to the true owner. (I don't even know if GPS can be used that way.)

Mitchel

Don`t think so, the GPS just gets info from the sats, doesn`t send info back. Tis a receiver only. No for me the block idea has a lot of merits it would have to be that every owner has to go along with it, password or whatever or it`d be useless and I guess that would be its biggest limiting factor, as I`m guilty as hell of leaving passwords at default.

• Like 2

I am thinking of getting something more on the line of this type unit--(smaller hopefully) -- I havent read enough to see if this only works using the phone signal or if it actually uses GPS--

I am thinking phone service only--- so i guess you would have to add a line to your phone plan..

May be worth it.... more research needed in these type units... i think i saw  plans for 10 bucks a month for a device similar.... i like that this one is rechargeable and on demand.

The little coin sized ones are called "crowd GPS" which is not GPS at all, but rather a network of users that have their bluetooth on.

UPDATE: I just talked with my USAA insurance people and I increased my renters insurance to 20K for only 5 dollars more a month-- easier than using a GPS and all my things are covered anywhere in the world--(Australia)

This doesnt help us with what we lost now--- I cant believe it was only 5 bucks/month---

i owe Condor a big apology.... i should have been responsible enough to have had this coverage already...

A word to the wise---

• Like 3